VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to give a bad reputation to upgrading parts but I've had a terrible experience with these Bosch R8 coil packs.

I purchased a VW Jetta 2007 MK5 2.5 09G auto back in February 2021. Did the shift solenoids on the transmission as the major fix with Liqui Moly ATF 1200. Then figured what the heck I picked this car up cheap let me treat it up a bit.

I had seen videos such as this here:

Replace Coil Packs 2.5 VW

I purchased the coil packs and installed them without issue in April or so when I changed the spark plugs and fuel filter.

Issued Results:

Holy hell was that a mistake. Here are a few shots of investigating a multi-cylinder misfire codes.

Tool Gas Auto part Font Office supplies

(Coil 1)

Floor Flooring Gas Plumbing fixture Plumbing

(Coil 2)

Floor Rectangle Gas Flooring Composite material

(Coil 3)

Now here is what they did to my spark plugs changed at the same time:

Spark plug Gas Auto part Technology Metal

What they're supposed to look like after I started cleaning them:

Wood Jewellery Font Auto part Audio equipment

Diagnostics:

I know my engine isn't damaging them as I've changed out the radiator fluid with distilled water 4 times this Summer. My engine coolant temperatures are therefore stable and low. Here is me driving the car afterward with new coil packs (did not baby it as you can see):

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Rectangle

I can also say that my valve cover is not the cause of damage as that was changed before hand and was not leaking engine oil onto them.

In short, after swaping with the new coil packs, and wiping the long list of misfire codes, they've not reappered.

Conclusion:

I decided to go back to coil packs similar in design to OEM. They solidly make a click noise when connecting to the spark plugs. These upgraded

ones did not no matter how hard I pressed down. And if you watch the video above you cannot hear or see anything indicating the same. It is pretty auditable on some of the spark

plugs when you press down onto the original styled coil packs!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spent the better part of 4 hours cleaning the spark plugs and scoping out bits and pieces of the upgraded coil packs out. After doing that and everything was out I poured a few

ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder to soak the cylinder heads overnight. New coil packs arrived the next day in the evening.

Initially when I started the car back up with the new coil packs the car still idled what can only be described as violently (shock the car). I had to turn it back off, search the codes,

wipe them and then it all ran smoothly with the codes not reappearing. Stay away. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Well, one problem doesn't necessarily mean a systematic problem.

I've had the red Bosch R8 coils in both my wife's 2.5 Jetta and in my GLI for several years and probably 30,000 miles now. No problems.

That having been said, I don't think there's any particular advantage to having them over the OEM ones. They just look prettier. Under the engine covers. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, one problem doesn't necessarily mean a systematic problem.

I've had the red Bosch R8 coils in both my wife's 2.5 Jetta and in my GLI for several years and probably 30,000 miles now. No problems.

That having been said, I don't think there's any particular advantage to having them over the OEM ones. They just look prettier. Under the engine covers. :)
True but I shouldn't have ignored they didn't want to connect correctly to my NGKs. I kind of just stuck them in there ignoring the fact initially and they just dissolved. Thing that made me angry most is I

inspected them 1 month later after install and could see the degrading occurring. I should have filed for return. Too late now. Perhaps faulty coil packs? Never seen such soft rubber for such an extreme heat

area on a car.

Indeed I didn't see any performance gain and only liked how they looked too hahaha! Now I'm stuck with plain black ones again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've heard for many decades how bad Bosch spark plugs are and I figured the coils would be just as bad, if not worse. I replaced both on my 2008 2.5 engine with:
Coils NGK – U5015 (48978) Coil-on-Plug
Spark plugs NGK – ZFR5AIX-11 (94553) Iridium IX

I've always used NGK plugs and coils or coil packs in my American and Japanese vehicles and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard for many decades how bad Bosch spark plugs are and I figured the coils would be just as bad, if not worse. I replaced both on my 2008 2.5 engine with:
Coils NGK – U5015 (48978) Coil-on-Plug
Spark plugs NGK – ZFR5AIX-11 (94553) Iridium IX

I've always used NGK plugs and coils or coil packs in my American and Japanese vehicles and I've never had a problem.
I'm pretty settled to stay away from Bosch. Success with NGK in my college car (Honda Civic) I had before hand for a decade before I put it in the wall (cheapo here: bald tires in

the rain on incline turning 50 degree onramp, with fresh set of 4 in the garage).

A solenoid valve (P0444 code) failed, cheap part, changed it with a Bosch, failed me in 2 months. Just done with them to be frank.

·
Registered
124 Posts
bad luck with that. ive had mine for 75k no issues yet. im not sure why your pouring an unknown substance into your cylinder though if you wanted to soak the cylinder head just pour it right into the oil fill and definetly some in your intake runner and exhaust runner next time cause it was just soaking the cylinder bore and piston top the way you did it.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
OP, I don't have the same engine as you do , but have never had any issues with any Bosch products in any of my Golfs over the years. It's been discussed elsewhere on this site before--might have been on The Car Lounge. It was a few years ago--There are a lot of counterfeit big-name brand spark plugs out there (and coilpacks too, I'd surmise) . To summarize the article, it was advised to only purchase from an actual local auto parts store or from a legit online auto parts retailer --never buy stuff like this from Amazon or eBay. Those mega retailers never check for authenticity and the products are almost always cheap knock-offs. I think that's what the person that posted above me is hinting at ^^^

Good luck with your fix (y)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
bad luck with that. ive had mine for 75k no issues yet. im not sure why your pouring an unknown substance into your cylinder though if you wanted to soak the cylinder head just pour it right into the oil fill and definetly some in your intake runner and exhaust runner next time cause it was just soaking the cylinder bore and piston top the way you did it.
I've done this before (Uncle taught me) and reached 180 ~ 185PSI across all cylinders on a compression test.

Since I had everything opened up it was a "what the heck why not thing." It does soak past the heads and goes into the oil pan anyway. A little cleaner never hurt though I say.

Edit: Better explained I had some crud / crap fall in from the falling apart coil packs. A safety first thing on firing it back up since the missfires were across multiple cylinders I wanted to play it safe.

-sent from android

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP, I don't have the same engine as you do , but have never had any issues with any Bosch products in any of my Golfs over the years. It's been discussed elsewhere on this site before--might have been on The Car Lounge. It was a few years ago--There are a lot of counterfeit big-name brand spark plugs out there (and coilpacks too, I'd surmise) . To summarize the article, it was advised to only purchase from an actual local auto parts store or from a legit online auto parts retailer --never buy stuff like this from Amazon or eBay. Those mega retailers never check for authenticity and the products are almost always cheap knock-offs. I think that's what the person that posted above me is hinting at ^^^

Good luck with your fix (y)
True they could be counterfeit, my money is on defective though (quite literally lol!). Either that or very good counterfeits as they came in a label type logo Bosch boxes and tape (not cut / messed with). Idk maybe. Wish I didn't throw the boxes out. The packaging seen here is from the coil packs I ordered as replacement. And where from local auto stores? These for me were tough to find. Only ECS tuning also had them.

What I do know is the red cap coil packs are a different model and really just oem styled that others are pointing out here. I in the end should have purchased these from ECS tuning or something.

It all runs like I stole it now. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
True they could be counterfeit, my money is on defective though (quite literally lol!). Either that or very good counterfeits as they came in a label type logo Bosch boxes and tape (not cut / messed with). Idk maybe. Wish I didn't throw the boxes out. The packaging seen here is from the coil packs I ordered as replacement. And where from local auto stores? These for me were tough to find. Only ECS tuning also had them.
The forgeries are getting REALLY good. If you bought from Amazon or eBay because the price was better... you probably got fakes. There's a good video on YouTube that shows some forged Toyota parts, complete with boxes that look damn near identical to Toyota Genuine Parts boxes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The forgeries are getting REALLY good. If you bought from Amazon or eBay because the price was better... you probably got fakes. There's a good video on YouTube that shows some forged Toyota parts, complete with boxes that look damn near identical to Toyota Genuine Parts boxes.
Retracting the Bosch boycott now in my mind because the earlier statement about the Bosch solenoid valve I purchased?

From eBay which I knew anything automotive electronic functioning from there is a no no. Especially after that.

Fudge seeing the pattern now. Thank you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've done this before (Uncle taught me) and reached 180 ~ 185PSI across all cylinders on a compression test.

Since I had everything opened up it was a "what the heck why not thing." It does soak past the heads and goes into the oil pan anyway. A little cleaner never hurt though I say.

Edit: Better explained I had some crud / crap fall in from the falling apart coil packs. A safety first thing on firing it back up since the missfires were across multiple cylinders I wanted to play it safe.

-sent from android
right on man. i love tricks passed down from old guys. your not soaking the cylinder head though you poured right through that and into the bore where the piston is. so the cylinder that is part of the block.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
right on man. i love tricks passed down from old guys. your not soaking the cylinder head though you poured right through that and into the bore where the piston is. so the cylinder that is part of the block.
Not quite hah as he's the youngest uncle I have so we're not far apart in age. I'm more of a tuner / performance dude (give me the mountains and terrible weather for a weekend drive!) and he's more of a restorer (old Cadillacs and BMWs).

·
Registered
35 Posts

-sent from android
MMO will break down carbon while you watch it actually, Been around for a very long time and i use it as well. same way as you when changing plugs etc nice fuel additive to keep it clean. proven as well. When i pulled my Mazda top end apart she was nearly carbonless lol

I might guess you may not have the correct coil over plug Bosch perhaps ? or a knockoff

Just replaced my plugs a few weeks ago on my R and all looked fine . Replaced my coil over plugs with the upgrade about 5 k ago

sorry for bad luck though :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
The last set of coils I bought I ended up going with a set from apr. For tyhe price they were about the same as stock units.

·
Registered
2013 VW Eos Lux Black Pearl, tinted glass, black leather interior, with Chicago wheels!
57 Posts
I don't want to give a bad reputation to upgrading parts but I've had a terrible experience with these Bosch R8 coil packs.

I purchased a VW Jetta 2007 MK5 2.5 09G auto back in February 2021. Did the shift solenoids on the transmission as the major fix with Liqui Moly ATF 1200. Then figured what the heck I picked this car up cheap let me treat it up a bit.

I had seen videos such as this here:

Replace Coil Packs 2.5 VW

I purchased the coil packs and installed them without issue in April or so when I changed the spark plugs and fuel filter.

Issued Results:

Holy hell was that a mistake. Here are a few shots of investigating a multi-cylinder misfire codes.

View attachment 117969
(Coil 1)

View attachment 117970
(Coil 2)

View attachment 117973
(Coil 3)

Now here is what they did to my spark plugs changed at the same time:

View attachment 117975

What they're supposed to look like after I started cleaning them:

View attachment 117976

Diagnostics:

I know my engine isn't damaging them as I've changed out the radiator fluid with distilled water 4 times this Summer. My engine coolant temperatures are therefore stable and low. Here is me driving the car afterward with new coil packs (did not baby it as you can see):

View attachment 117978

I can also say that my valve cover is not the cause of damage as that was changed before hand and was not leaking engine oil onto them.

In short, after swaping with the new coil packs, and wiping the long list of misfire codes, they've not reappered.

Conclusion:

I decided to go back to coil packs similar in design to OEM. They solidly make a click noise when connecting to the spark plugs. These upgraded

ones did not no matter how hard I pressed down. And if you watch the video above you cannot hear or see anything indicating the same. It is pretty auditable on some of the spark

plugs when you press down onto the original styled coil packs!
WOW! That's pretty dramatic! So the longer you drove the car with the red tops the more issues you were having? I put those in my car a couple of months back and am going to check them ASAP. I wondered about the rubber coating as well because the ones I replaced them with were shiny metal looking ones. And I noticed the absence of an audible click too but just thought that I had them on as far as they would go. I even thought about tapping them with a rubber mallet but was afraid I would damage them or my new plugs. I've not really noticed anything out of the ordinary but Im sorta freaked out right now. :oops:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts