VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Re: WARNING: To Excite @home cable internet users (Slapshotnerd)

That means I need to get a phone. *whine* I will just have to get DSL if it dies. I just hate phones. Although, If I get a home phone I can order PIZZA!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Re: WARNING: To Excite @home cable internet users (ninaf)

quote:[HR][/HR]Although, If I get a home phone I can order PIZZA![HR][/HR]​
You can order Papa John's online, don't need a home phone.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Re: WARNING: To Excite @home cable internet users (DocT)

I've ordered Papa John's on my cell phone before, they didn't seem to notice or care.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Re: WARNING: To Excite @home cable internet users (sachiko)

All the pizza places here don't like that my area code is from Bellevue, WA. I should try papa johns I guess.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]All the pizza places here don't like that my area code is from Bellevue, WA. I should try papa johns I guess.[HR][/HR]​
Oooh, that makes sense. Mine is a 206 area code, ordering from the 253 area code.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: WARNING: To Excite @home cable internet users (sachiko)

people people people...
you are the ones that piss me off on a daily basis.
you make me want to throw office chairs through wall...
Pessimistic m.fawkers who assume and belive that there is this magical plug and BAM! no more internet.
I do tech support for @home. Am i worried about my job? No. Is @home or ATT or Charter or Cox or any of the other cable companies going to let this just drop? No. You people don't know that ATT has recently sold off most of it assets so that they can purchase @home without making a monopoly... Feel a little better now?
If i ever ask the Grand Master Salt anything in my life, it would be to kill this string here and now...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Re: WARNING: To Excite @home cable internet users (PDX Cabby)

Actually, that isn't really true. Lets say Excite gets bandwidth from a bunch of different providers... like Qwest. If Qwest hasn't been paid for months, they could just stop routing traffic through their network. I doubt this sort of thing will happen but it is possible. AT&T knows it could happen otherwise they wouldn't have sent out letters to every account they have. If they knew it wasn't a possiblity then they wouldn't have scared all their customers and possibly even losing custoners.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

i'm not saying that it isn't possible, it is... i'm just tired of hearing this for the last week at work. In any case, if schit hits the fan, i'm worse off them most of you, i'm out of a job and i lost internet access. Granted i still have about 200 dialup accts (thanks to an old job) I don't have an analog modem (haven't needed one for 3 years, gave away to other people).
Again... i don't think this is very likely...

·
Banned
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm just saying be prepared.
PDX - read the article. It says that AT&T has a backup network in place, but I honestly dont trust it. How wel do you trust the backup email servers? I seem to remember email crashes once a week, and network-wide email outages once a month. But of course, they had backup email servers

I'm just giving a little warning. DSL can take 4-6 weeks to get installed. I know, I've worked for 2 local DSL companies. I personally cant stand to go that long without internet, so I'm just giving a little heads up.
PDX - on the other hand, has stream issued an email saying 'we know @home may go under, but you all will still have jobs with stream if this happens' ? Nope. Cuz they dont think that @home will stick around, and they DONT have jobs for everyone. If they were a smart subcontractor, they would. Thats what happened when the last ISP I worked for went under, I still had a job with the subcontractor. Not a good job, but still a job.
Again, this is just a 411. Consider yourself warned.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts

Damn, Isaac. I didn't know you worked for @Home. I'm sure either Deriek or I have spoken to you when we called to bitch about our service.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Re: WARNING: To Excite @home cable internet users (4Rings)

The power of money... it can make things happen.. or make things NOT happen.
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE IT.
Nothing provokes action quicker or firmer than someone not getting paid.

I doubt it will get turned off too.. but I will laugh openly if it does.... Your post will never be forgotten. EVER. Don't make such a big deal when you can't back it up.

OH YAH, this was in regards to Isaac's post.

[Modified by morxus, 9:21 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: WARNING: To Excite @home cable internet users (morxus)

I too will laugh when it happens... and then i'll worry about rent...
there is nothing that i need to back up... i'm just sick and tired about hearing about it everywhere i go... can't watch tv, work, hangout or even drink coffee without hearing about it... now i can't even talk VWs and avoid the topic...

·
Registered
125 Posts

Is that why i got my first 2 months FREE when signing up???
Lucky me http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15,173 Posts
I'm not worried. They don't rip up the street for 3 weeks to drop in fiber optics, wait 2 years, and drop all of their customers.
Chapter 11 doesn't mean that they have to cut the lines.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: well... (ninaf)

yep... fun fun... still here for now, still at work... actually look forward to unemployment if crap hits the fan... looks like there's some nice snow up in the hills...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts