VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the timing belt & water pump service on my car.....crap! everything comes out, coolant tank...hoses, fuel lines , ENGINE MOUNT.,....took me about 10 hours....just let vw do it, lol, it will only be about 600 bucks

· Registered
4,922 Posts
Re: WARNING!!!! (jetta2.slow)

You shouldn't have had to remove the fuel lines. It might have made things easier with them out of the way but my Bentley doesn't specify that. And think of all the money you saved. What did the water pump and timing belt cost? Maybe $70 total? I think 10 hours of work is worth saving $500. And besides, you know you're car that much better so if you have to do this again in the future, I guarantee you could cut your work time down in half.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: WARNING!!!! (DJKeebler)

Quote, originally posted by DJKeebler »
You shouldn't have had to remove the fuel lines. It might have made things easier with them out of the way but my Bentley doesn't specify that. And think of all the money you saved. What did the water pump and timing belt cost? Maybe $70 total? I think 10 hours of work is worth saving $500. And besides, you know you're car that much better so if you have to do this again in the future, I guarantee you could cut your work time down in half.

yeah, it was worth it. yeah, i got the timing belt and water pump and tensioner for about 90 bucks and the coolant for about 20 bucks (the only thing i bought from stealership) but yeah, the dealer ship would have charged me around 5-6 hundred for the work.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: WARNING!!!! (Glenn J)

Quote, originally posted by Glenn J »
Fuel lines and engine mount? What exactly did you change? Granted, it took awhile when I did it ( changed the entire waterpump housing) but it still paid to do it myself.

fuel lines have to come out because you need to make room for the engine mount and engine mount support bracket to lift out....water pump only took me about 5 min. after i had the timing belt off,that was the easy part...but to get the timing belt off, the engine mount needs to come out....

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: WARNING!!!! (VTDUBDUDE)

Quote, originally posted by VTDUBDUDE »
Maybe there is a differnence between MkIII and MKIV. I am about to do this soon and I was looking at my car the other day and it doesn't look that bad.

BIG DIFFERENCE! mkiii are so much easier to work on, tune, modify etc... i would never buy another mk4 again, atleast not the 2.0

· Registered
17,384 Posts
Re: WARNING!!!! (jetta2.slow)

If you think that sucks, try a VR sometime....
Someone I know just bought an MKIV 1.8T....looks like I'm gonna need an MKIV Bentley now
. Will have to check out the MKIV 2.0L timing belt change in it.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.