VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A3 had a MIL (solid, not flashing) for a couple of days was able to get it in this afternoon to get it checked. The service advisor said that the fault code was a lean A/F conditon caused by the engine cover/airbox warping from the heat and allowing air to bypass the MAF sensor. I remember seeing this on the forum a while ago but running several seaches turned up nothing. According to the service advisor this is something that Audi has recently discovered with the design but I don't know if the new cover is any different than the original.
Anyone else run into this yet? They replaced my cover with a new one and everything feels good so far, the car has a more noticable zip again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (tpliquid)

Quote, originally posted by tpliquid »
humm... how hot is the weather ur in?

High temp over the last couple of weeks was probably 95°F but more normally mid to high 80's during the day for this time of year. I commute to Long Island City (Queens), NY every weekday, round trip about 70 miles. I do get stuck in alot of stop and go traffic especially in the evening on the FDR.
It makes me wonder if this was a isolated defect or should everybody south of NYC with an A3 fear the warpage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: (navsnipe)

Cant get much hotter than here in Arizona. 105 to 110 all summer long. Drove car last summer in it and up to now this year. No problems.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (Jeffaz)

Quote, originally posted by Jeffaz »
Cant get much hotter than here in Arizona. 105 to 110 all summer long. Drove car last summer in it and up to now this year. No problems.

I kind of figured if anyone would see this problem it would be in climates like yours. I'm hoping this was an isolated defect. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the fault code printout or the defect in the old engine cover.
I do remember at least one person having the same problem as mine but I can't seem to find the thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts