VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought our car into the shop for the Emissions workshop and found out that the secondary air pump needs to be replaced. We have a 5 yr 100k mile extended warranty and they say its not covered because "due to it not being there and falling off, its not covered". Why would having the actual part on the car have anything to do with the warranty?

· Registered
906 Posts
Re: Warranty ? for lost part (ktm250rider)

Are you the original owner? I cannot see how that would have fallen off, you have to remove the belly pan to gain access to it. Sounds like BS to me.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Im pretty knowledgable in fixing cars but what in the world is the secondary air pump used for, and where is it located? Is the belly pan a shield that protects the bottom of the car (axle, suspension etc.)?

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Re: (ktm250rider)

Looking from the front of the car:
It is under the left headlight behind the bumper. You have to remove the belly pan
to see it. It looks like an electric motor attached to half a turbo. It is unlikely to fall
off and they would not cover it if it has been removed form the car.
PZ.

Modified by PZ at 5:56 AM 1-10-2004

· Registered
906 Posts
Re: (PZ)

Quote, originally posted by PZ »
Looking from the front of the car:
It is under the left headlight behind the bumper. You have to remove the belly pan
to see it. It looks like an electric motor attached to half a turbo. It is unlikely to fall
off and they would not cover it if it has been removed form the car.
PZ.
Modified by PZ at 5:56 AM 1-10-2004

Exactly what he said!! The SAIP as its known introduces fresh air in to the exhaust system just after the exhaust valves to add oxygen and heat up the catalytic converter faster. I have had mine replaced twice, the first time because it started screaming at startup and finally failed, the second time was free because the dealer didnt realize a hose was cracked and it filled with water and froze solid.
P.S. I wish someone here would have a picture to show you, I still cannot believe that it fell off. It would have given you the CEL the minute it fell off from the electrical connector

Modified by ytqm at 12:49 PM 1-10-2004

· Registered
58 Posts
Re: (ytqm)

Well, they gave me the same line when I asked for the devices which hold the belly pan up. They were missing so no warranty, I was pretty forceful at the service desk and they gave them to me. I then started changing my own oil and funny thing none have fallen out since.
I have 45,000 miles on my 2003.
I complained loudly to VW customer care and have not gone back to this dealership since. Thelen in Bay City Michigan

Modified by keithG at 4:48 AM 1-11-2004

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.