VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the car to a wash and sprayed the entire motor with degreaser, then hosed it down with water.(filter and distrubutor covered)
start the engine and started to boggle then dies. after a while it starts up then boggles badly. anyone have any suggestions how to fix this. thanks
its a 93 corrado VR6

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Re: washing the VR6 motor (pyschovr6)

classic case of water in the spark plugs....! my shop always told me to leave it running while washing it, covering up necessary parts and when you hear it starting to boggle let off of the water. Then start washing down again and repeat so you know when you are getting water in the spark plugs and supposedley the degreaser actually works better with the engine running hot....! but yeah, if you car already boggled then died let it dry completely.....!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: washing the VR6 motor (dr()opy)

quote:[HR][/HR]classic case of water in the spark plugs....! my shop always told me to leave it running while washing it, covering up necessary parts and when you hear it starting to boggle let off of the water. Then start washing down again and repeat so you know when you are getting water in the spark plugs and supposedley the degreaser actually works better with the engine running hot....! but yeah, if you car already boggled then died let it dry completely.....![HR][/HR]​
No offense to you but that sound like a horrible idea to me. I have never heard of washing the motor with the car on and can only imagine the problems that this may cause. It does help to have the motor hot but not on.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Re: washing the VR6 motor (Spd33)

quote:[HR][/HR]classic case of water in the spark plugs....! my shop always told me to leave it running while washing it, covering up necessary parts and when you hear it starting to boggle let off of the water. Then start washing down again and repeat so you know when you are getting water in the spark plugs and supposedley the degreaser actually works better with the engine running hot....! but yeah, if you car already boggled then died let it dry completely.....!
No offense to you but that sound like a horrible idea to me. I have never heard of washing the motor with the car on and can only imagine the problems that this may cause. It does help to have the motor hot but not on. [HR][/HR]​
actually i don't take offense your comment, i was skeptical at first. That's why i let them do it first, so if any problems occured it'll be on them. They did it like a month ago and no problems since....and motor is still, so fresh and so clean, clean.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: washing the VR6 motor (dr()opy)

thanks guys, ima try starting the car now but the check engine light is on too. how do i get rid of the check engine light.

·
Registered
27,888 Posts
Re: washing the VR6 motor (vrequipped)

Just be careful with cold water on a hot engine.
A friend and I were cleaning and tuning-up his girlfriends car years ago at my parents' house. We cleaned the engine and sprayed it down. My father came out and said something like, "are you sure you should be doing that?"
The car ran horribly when we were through, a true tribute to our automotive prowess. We could barely limp the mile or so to the gas station.
As it turns out, we cracked the ceramic on several of the spark plugs and it was running on only a couple of cylinders (it was the old Chrysler slant 6).
I just laugh when I think of us driving, crawling is more like it, around the block and to the gas station. I can still see the expression on our faces ... we f'ed-up big time, and wondered what his girlfriend would say. "Yes, we're done fixing and washing your car. It's now at the gas station."

[Modified by Cooper, 4:01 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
Re: washing the VR6 motor (vrequipped)

couple of cold starts and it will go away, unless it's actually something serious, but prolly misfire or sumtin since you got water in spark plugs. nutin to worry about, give it a day or two.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: washing the VR6 motor (BiH)

same thing happens if water seeps into the distr cap. here's a tip I learned from my 4 wheelin buddies. Spray some wd40 inside the distributer cap and lightly wipe it down. If some water does get in there, you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Re: washing the VR6 motor (thickstout)

If you have a coilpack check to see if it is shorting. Also check those plug wires- they could be to blame as well. When it dries completely it should at least run normal again until you get it wet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts