Electric vehicles are still in the stage of public perception where they are attempting to impress us. And that’s great! It leads to all kinds of fun records like VW’s ID.R Nurburgring lap or this drifting world record set by Porsche.

The record, set by Dennis Retera, Porsche Experience Lead Instructor, was set at 42 km (26 miles) or 210 laps of the Hockenheim drift pad, which was accomplished in 55 minutes. Not quite a BMW record set with a stuntman fueler, but impressive all the same.

To set his record, Retera broke the previous record, which had been set by Top Gear’s Chris Harris just moments earlier. That video, which Top Gear released, is actually more illuminating. Harris doing his job there then.

In the video, Retera teaches Harris how to drift efficiently. This being a RWD Taycan, the limitation was always going to be how long the driver could pin the throttle for. And indeed, the way to drift for efficiency is to steer—get this—with the steering wheel.

The point, though, is not to try to correct with the throttle, as you do in regular drifts. By steering into the circle of the drift or out of it, the driver corrects the angle. Normally, you just counter steer and adjust the throttle to adjust your angle.

Speaking of the throttle, Harris says it’s remarkably intuitive. “The best I can say about it is that I haven’t thought about the throttle at all,” he says. “It’s a drift weapon. It’s an electric drift weapon.”

The record was set under the watchful eye of a Guinness World Records adjudicator, with a vehicle expert on hand, too. Denise Ritzman is a test engineer at DEKRA (or Deutscher Kraftfahrzeug-Überwachungs-Verein, as its friends call it), a German vehicle inspection company. Not only that, though, Ritzman is also a two-time European drift champion.

Watching Harris try to set the initial record is eerily quiet. I know it’s an EV and that shouldn’t surprise me, but something about seeing a car sideways does really lead to expectations of howling engine notes.

Something about being in a car sideways really leads to illness, too, as Harris reports. After just seven laps, he starts complaining about feeling queasy and after ten laps he says he feels quite hot. After 13 laps, he says he’s lost track of where he is on the circuit and after 16, he loops it.

After a second run, Harris manages 19 laps or 3.3 km, earning himself a Guinness World Record. Which kind of puts into perspective just how impressive Retera’s 42 km drift is. How he even stood up to get out of the car is beyond us, but by gum we’re impressed.