VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am a fan of almost every VW, I have only owned two water-cooled dubs ('88 & '98 Jetta). I am looking to get into an air-cooled project now that I have graduated from college and gotten married. My wife and I both are fans of the old buses (T-2, T-3?), but I have never worked on a carbeurated car before. I could use some advice on what model year and style to go with. I like any bus up until about the mid-70s, while she likes the camper buses from the 60s. I would love a 21-window bus, but those things can get pretty expensive from what I have seen. Any advice on a type of bus that I can p/u relatively cheap (more than just a rusted old rolling chassis) from the 1950s-mid-1970s? How hard is it to work on these cars? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: Water-cooler looking for some advice from air-coolers (veedub07)

What you want (I think) is the split windshield busses, '67 and earlier (type 2). Those came with type 1 engines, pretty much exactly as engines from bugs, etc. They're easy to work on and maintain. Just get a good reference book to, like a Bentley or 'How to Keep your VW Alive".
Looks at thesamba.com Good classifieds to at least compare bus prices. They do cost more then bugs, especially the splitties. Especially non-rusty examples. 21 and 23 windows and pickups are even more $$. So from your description a Westfalia (camper) or similar conversion in the kind you want. Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Re: Water-cooler looking for some advice from air-coolers (nicnaor)

well, being that your wife likes campers and i assume you like your wife i'd recommend getting a 72-79 camper. the bays have a lot of neat features that the splits don't like real windows and the ability to keep up with traffic on the flats. why don't you hang out on the type2 list for a while and see what's out their before you jump in. go to type2.com and hit the type2 mailing list button and sign up.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Re: Water-cooler looking for some advice from air-coolers (pkagel)

pkagel is right. the splities are cool but the bay's function much better.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: Water-cooler looking for some advice from air-coolers (water&air)

The bays are more refined. They drive better, has better power, look better (IMO) and have better inside room. It also has a full size pop-top that allows 4 people to sleep comfortably.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Water-cooler looking for some advice from air-coolers (PerL)

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the type2 website at well. One question: what does "bay" mean?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: Water-cooler looking for some advice from air-coolers (veedub07)

That's bay window (the big windshield in post '67 busses) as supposed to the split windshields. Also sometime in the 70's (forgot which exact year, I could be wrong and maybe late 60's?) got upgraded to type 4 engines (same engines used in Porsche 914's) from the regular type 1 (bugs) engine. If I were to get a late model bus, that might be something you should consider. Also in early 80's or late late 70's they started using watercooled engines (aka waterboxers)

Modified by nicnaor at 4:02 AM 7-4-2003

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Re: Water-cooler looking for some advice from air-coolers (nicnaor)

type 4 engine came in 72, the 4 person pop top came in 74 and i believe the passenger seat that spins around came in 76 which imho would make that the most desirable year of westy camper as it has the most functional layout. hi roofs are very cool, at least i think so. i have a 73 adventurewagen hi roof camper with stove, fridge, propane heater, etc. i can fit two adults on the bottom and two kids on top and it has much more storage than any westfalia camper but i'd say start with thesamba.com type2.com and start looking at all the differences betwen the different campers. some have 3 way fridges in the later westies ac/dc/propane, mine is only ac/dc. write down what you and your wife want to accomplish with the bus and weigh that against what each specific bus offers and when you find a model that fits the bill start the search. don't leave out the vanagons, vanagon.com can give you a lot of info on these models. and the 84-91 models lend themselves nicely to engine upgrades as they were water cooled already. you may find your needs and cash flow allow you a split window and they are very cool but don't limit yourself just to them and don't fall into the vintage trap so many guys get into. whatever you drive that is cool to you is good and what someone else thinks doesn't really matter. best of luck to you man, i'm sure you'll find what you need.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Water-cooler looking for some advice from air-coolers (pkagel)

Sounds good. I have already checked out both thesamba.com and type2.com already. I will just keep scouring them to find something that I like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts