VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep that's right a leak around the compass area. It first happened a month ago while driving in the rain. A few drops came out of the area between the headliner and the compass on the passenger side. The other day a couple of drops came out of the other side (driver). I took it to the dealer the next day and they couldn't find any water. Even after removing the whole top console and running it through the car wash. They couldn't even see where any water may have been. Has anyone had this problem or know some troubleshooting tips.
Happend at speeds over 45mph.
Raining outside for at least 2 hours.
Sunroof had not been used for at long time due to Winter
only a few drops have come out so far at one time.
Has only happened twice in the 4 months we have owned the car.

Modified by trollhole at 4:00 PM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Water leak around Compass area Sunroof????? (trollhole)

I thought I felt something on my hand once while it was raining a lot. But at the time I figured it was nothing... I will try to look a little closer next time I am in the car and it is raining (which should be every damn day for the next month).

·
Registered
221 Posts

Could it be condensation, building up and leaking through (as opposed to outside water getting in)?

·
Registered
48,167 Posts

I would take it to the dealer and have them leak test it. Could be the sunroof drains are plugged.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Re: Water leak around Compass area Sunroof????? (spockcat)

spockcat is on the money. Happens on the Passat also.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have taken it to the dealer and they have done the leak test and couldn't find a leak. And to my knowledge there has been little or no condesation in the T-Reg.

·
Registered
48,167 Posts
Re: (trollhole)

When they tested it for leakage, did they drop the upper console so they could see any slow leaks? How about checking the windshield seal blasting water at it directly? Up that high those are pretty much the only two ways you are going to get water in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts