VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 passat, 1.8T wagon.
We had so much rain recently, as a result driver's side carpet in my passat is wet. It' is mostly in the front but there are some wet areas on the back too. Nothing on passenger side.
Where to look for first, any common problems with water leaks on this car?
thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: water on the drivers side? (bordo)

I've got a water leak on the driver's side carpet of my 1999 Passat too. Water is leaking through the bottom of the driver's door onto the door sill, and then into the car. This can be determined by looking at all 4 door sills after it rains. My driver door sill is wet while the other 3 are bone dry. Not sure whats causing the rain to leak through the door though. Other common sources are sunroof drains, and aftermarket stereos which feed a power wire through the firewall to connect to the battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: water on the drivers side? (CorradoG60)

I had problems with water on the driver's side of my 02 GLX, and the first thought was sunroof drains. That didn't fix the problem, and it turned out to be a cracked sunroof frame (I guess all the black plastic that you see when you open the thing). It turns out water was leaking out the side of the frame, then running down along the OUTSIDE of the a-piller drain hose, and leaking into the foot well by the dead pedal. It took the dealer three tries to find the problem and finally get it fixed, thank God for certified warranties.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My car doesn't have a sunroof. I tried using a long strip of duct tape along the door glass where it meets the door frame (there is some type of black rubber gasket between the glass and the door frame). The duct tape seemed to seal out the water from the door. The question is: is rain suppose to leak between the door glass and frame and drain out the bottom or is the rubber gasket between the glass and frame suppose to seal out all water?

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: water on the drivers side? (DANBURY VW-PASSAT)

Quote, originally posted by DANBURY VW-PASSAT »
I had the same problem- i work at a vw dealership and they said a seal in the door by the window regulator broke and that how the water got in. fixed and no more water.

I have done a couple of these, sometimes if the window lifter panel is just slightly bent it will happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.