VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the million dollar question is water or air to cool the hot snail air.

I have been personally running air to air for 15+ years with no issues..besides hacking the front bumper.

Being a German car mechanic for 20 years and seeing the mast majority(if not all) switching to water to air intercoolers it has me second guessing.

I can rationalize the water to air for drag cars very easily…due to ice tanks and cool downs between runs. With that being said I personally only see the drag strip once maybe twice a year, the rest of the time is circuit racing/auto cross with some street driving.

Ant opinions, real life evaluations on this topic would be great. Any photos of your water to air setups would be great as well!!!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@MiltDoggie I was hoping @Vegeta Gti will hop into this thread and provide his two cents.

I have been google searching this topic for a little over a year and see positive inputs from the AWIC people.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
AWIC is great for drag, I'm going air to air though.

13 years 260k on this setup.

I'll lose weight and gain efficiency in spades. In all my years as a tech and fabricator/tuner, A2A is just better all around. Quality parts matter though. Tuning wise is just better for 99% of Forces inducing cars to be air to air.

Awic requires a lot more things to be considered, bought and fabricated for it to work on part with most decent fmic setups.

If I run ice I can see better iat's but I have to switch out my system every time I'm on tech doing road course stuff. In the winter is great if you have winter(80/20 distilled/coolant mix) But temps 80 or give you'll just be losing power and mpg's fighting iat's.

Street car, occasional track or drag, you're just better off with a quality fmic.

All these dudes rubbing awic are doing drag, and throwing down big money on setups. They're also gaining quite a bit of weight with those high end setups.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for providing you 2 cents @Vegeta Gti always appreciated.

Can you throw a picture in here of you AWIC setup just because..🍻

1 - 5 of 5 Posts