VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had both bolts broken at the block. Got them out, installed thread inserts and replaced them. 6 months later the top left one is broken again and I think the top right was loose (it was loose but that was after I removed the nut and seperated the alternator/power steering brackets). The bolts were properly torqued at installation.
Is there a known issue with these breaking? Maybe if the top right got loose it caused the top left to break? Am I supposed to Locktite these?
If not, the only things I can think of are that the thread insert could be slightly off, resulting in the bolt breaking (this one seams unlikely unless the bolt was pretty far off). Or that I got a bad bolt.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Re: Water Pump Housing - Bolt broken again? (phrankentruk)

Perhaps you are not tightening one of the bolts near the belts that hold everything in place?

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
Re: Water Pump Housing - Bolt broken again? (PASHAT)

let me guess, you have a 2.0 16v not a 1.8 16v? If so switch to the 1.8 16v bracket.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Water Pump Housing - Bolt broken again? (wantacad)

Yes, it's a 2.0. What is the difference in the brackets?

·
Registered
14,868 Posts

It's the design of them, i forgot what changed, but I know if you search the 1.8's didn't have the issue.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts

the 2.0 blocks came from the factory with some hardcore German white threadlocker on those 4 bolts/studs that retain the water pump. You hafta be really careful removing them, working the bolt back and forth with PB Blaster or something, slowly backing them out. The gunk is so tough that you can break the bolt loose and turn it a few rounds, then it will sieze up and snap off when you think the hard part is over. If you can disolve all the white juck with some Blaster and clean the residue off the bolts or use new bolts, subsequent removals are "normal."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts