VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started a water pump install and I have gotten to the alternator bracket...time for bed now. After which I need to move the AC compressor...to get to the water pump...why didnt someone tell me it would be so hard????? WORDS OF WISDOM GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
17,081 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (DbMutant)

it's pretty easy. crowbar and hammer. there are some posts up about it. and if you have specific questions, ask them http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (white_r!ce)

I learned real quick after my first water pump install that a crowbar makes life about 100 times easier. Takes no time at all to get the alternator and A/C compressor off. You'll also want to get a metal file to file down the mounting points for the alternator and A/C compressor to get them back on the bracket.
I've done quite a few water pump installs....let me know if you have any problems....

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (VW97Jetta)

Ditto. Use a file to shave a little off the braket and some off the alternator mounts.
Also, just rest the A/C compressor on the lower radiator support.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (Glenn J)

FILE. What

Just use a hammer, tape lightly on the post, they move back out a little and there back on. takes all of one hit on each post. Very quick and simple
K, Ive done this one a time or to also. I found that removeing the pass side head light give you more room to. Remove the Alt. Then remove the compresser, same manor as the alt. Youll then have to remove the mounting bracket. There are four or five I belive 23mm strech bolts holding them on. Youll need a deep socket to get them off. Throw then away and replace them. You only want to use them once. Thats what the bently says anyway. Remove the bracket. Next remove the water pump, youll need to remove the Serp belt, The lower rad hose from the water pump, and two hosed from the side of the pump that go to the oil cooler. These are not the easiest ones to get off, so be patient. Remove the old pump, install a new thermestat in the new pump and install in revers order. It take some time, and patents. But you can do it if you stick with it. While your down there and have every the thing off and apart, If your oil cooler leaks oil, now would be a good time to replace its gaskets and o rings.
But you dont need a file to put it all back to gether. when installing the compreser AND alt, the two black spacers can be taped back with a hammer and a few light taps. This takes a few secs and thell slide in place. Once in place tighten the bolts and the spacers will be pulled back into place and your done.
Hope this helps.
Nate

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (Nat1267)

thanks for the info guys! Just like you all said, it came apart easily, new thermo, no leakage from the oil cooler bcause i did that last year however it was Sat Noon time and i was hooking up the lower rad. hose to the pump and
Broke the plastic elbow adaptor. A WORD OF ADVICE: BE GENTLE WITH THE ELBOW!!! Arrgh. I called my local VW dealer South Shore VW (mad props guys)and my super-friendly parts guy Andy(shoutout) gave me the unfortunate news that 5 dealerships in the country had the part. The closest one was only 45 minutes from my house but I called this AM and NO GO they didnt have it. So, my Jetta still sits in the driveway untill I get the part tomorrow. Thanks to my loyal girlfriend for letting me borrow her ride. Tomorrow she will run hahahahaha!!!!!!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (Nat1267)

Quote, originally posted by Nat1267 »

Just use a hammer, tape lightly on the post, they move back out a little and there back on. takes all of one hit on each post. Very quick and simple

I've tried that, and never had much luck with it (as I figured it would've saved me a whole lot of time filing)....

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (VW97Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by VW97Jetta »

I've tried that, and never had much luck with it (as I figured it would've saved me a whole lot of time filing)....

Really, maybe I just got lucky, who knows. Worked for me. Owell http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok Got her together again...but I notice something odd...bubbles coming from between the block and pump and also between the block and head...whitish bubblles...before i start er up, should i be concerned??????

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (DbMutant)

well, between the block and head means that you may have a bad head gasket on your hands. between the water pump and block means the bolts may not be tightened down to spec, the matting serfaces may not be level.

Nate

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well, alls well that ends well, for now. I dont think that the bubbles were anything but condensation, they all dried to a crust. Test drive is fine and the heat is so much more tolerable. Fan kicks on sooner and no leaks. Thank you all for your input. Filing the spacers of the compressor and alternator plus a little lube worked brilliantly. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Thanks again, Ben

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (VDubMutant)

Bringing it back from the dead.
How do you loosen the tension off the outermost belt (skinny one) that wraps around the water pump and timing belt?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Re: Water pump install on 96' ABA w/AC+Power steering...What the???!!!! (gregosh)

Quote, originally posted by gregosh »
Bringing it back from the dead.
How do you loosen the tension off the outermost belt (skinny one) that wraps around the water pump and timing belt?

loosen the powersteering pump
the lil belt ( V belt) is for pwr steering only

1 - 15 of 15 Posts