VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am in the middle of replacing the water pump. I removed the A/C compressor and Alternator. I was hoping to undo the two lower acessory brackt bolts then lossen the top one that is accessible through the timing cover. It is a T-6 hex head. Of course the bolt won't budge and now its getting stripped.
I suppose I am going to have to remove the timing cover now? If so I guess I might as well do the timing belt too. I was hoping this would be a couple hour job. If anyone has any solutions let me know.
Thanks.

· Registered
2,303 Posts
Re: Water pump replacement trouble (empeg9000)

well u have to take the timing cover off to get the bracket that covers the waterpump. thats weird, are u sure u have a good fit on the screw? cause i had no problems.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Water pump replacement trouble (schnell_8v)

Quote, originally posted by schnell_8v »
well u have to take the timing cover off to get the bracket that covers the waterpump. thats weird, are u sure u have a good fit on the screw? cause i had no problems.

You do? I read a post where a guy just lossened the top bolt and then swung it up out of the way. Yes I am fairly certain I have it in there. Okay well I guess I need to get the cover off. Can anyone give me any direction for this? I do not have a Bentley yet as I haven't had the car too long.

· Registered
2,303 Posts
Re: Water pump replacement trouble (empeg9000)

i meean, u have to take the 2 valve cover screws, and if u can turn it, which im not sure if u can or not, because the timing belt is in the way, doesnt seem like u could rotate it.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Water pump replacement - turns into Timing belt too!

Yeah I didnt realize you could just take the top half of the cover off. Of course one of the valve cover studs is stripped out so I will have to heli coil that. I got the pump off. Once I took the cover off I just put some vice grips on it and it came right out. I ended up taking the lower cover off now. I might as well to the belt, it looks iffy and its kind of loose. How do I release the tension on the tensioner?

· Registered
1,722 Posts
I suspect you're talking about the timing belt.
just loosen the bolt on the tensioner and it will relax. You'll need to have a tensioner tool to get the tensioner tight again. If you don't have one and don't wanna buy one you could make a ghetto tool like I did out of one of mom's old forks.

Modified by wHiTeGti at 2:24 PM 8-19-2006

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (wHiTeGti)

Quote, originally posted by wHiTeGti »
just loosen the bolt on the tensioner and it will relax. You'll need to have a tensioner tool to get the tensioner tight again. If you don't have one and don't wanna buy one you could make a ghetto tool like I did out of one of mom's old forks. I'll post a picture of it in a minute.

That would be great thanks. I am assuming I dont have to put this thing as TDC as long as I dont turn anything and just put the new belt right back on right?
Are timing cover still availible for these? All the tabs are broken on mine.

· Registered
1,722 Posts
You can pick up a cover from the junk yard no prob. You can do the belt without moving anything, but I always manage to screw that up so I end up doing the TDC thing anyway.
If it's your first time doing it do a search and get a vortexer to come over and help you out. Usually a case of beer will entice some boozer to come help you. good luck.

· Registered
1,722 Posts
Re: (empeg9000)

Quote, originally posted by empeg9000 »
What exactly do I do with this "ghetto" tool?

that ghetto tool allows you to apply tension to your timing belt. you slide the fork prongs into the timing belt tensioner and pull. Then you tighten the nut on the tensioner to lock it down. You'll see how it works once you've relaxed the tensioner.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (wHiTeGti) Timing Belt.

You can pick up a cover from the junk yard no prob. .

I was hoping Best Parts or someone might have them brand new.

You can do the belt without moving anything, but I always manage to screw that up so I end up doing the TDC thing anyway.
If it's your first time doing it do a search and get a vortexer to come over and help you out. Usually a case of beer will entice some boozer to come help you. good luck.

Well I am pretty experianced mechanically just not used to VWs. I've been mostly a Saab Turbo kind of guy. I always wanted an old school GTI so thats why I picked this one up. If someone happens to live in the Capitol District/Saratoga area of Upstate NY and wants to come up then give me a holler. Are there timing marks somewhere in this thing or do just to the screw driver in the number one hole deal?

that ghetto tool allows you to apply tension to your timing belt. you slide the fork prongs into the timing belt tensioner and pull. Then you tighten the nut on the tensioner to lock it down. You'll see how it works once you've relaxed the tensioner.

OKay I will scope it out tomorrow. I am done for today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.