VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC
6,535 Posts
Lol, I got 5 separate notices last week, for 5 different VWs the wife or I have owned, covered by the settlement. Waste of paper, really; especially since I’ve never had a water pump fail on any of those cars or any other 😁 no money for me…

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks like it supersedes the 6 yr/72k mile warranty and limits VW's responsibilty to a maximum of 1 water pump replacement/vehicle. I'm confirming this but that's what an attorney friend said after reviewing the settlement paperwork. I'm likely opting out of the settlement.

·
Registered
'17 Alltrack SE
331 Posts
Got the paperwork. But I have not had the work done as my pump has been 👍.

Assuming this wouldn’t cover premature replacement to avoid a future failure??

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I got this letter too even though my alltrack went through carvana to some lucky new person.

What miffed me, was that my wife's old 2010 Passat wagon 2.0 CCTA was NOT included on the covered vehicle list. Put three stinking pumps on that car, what a pain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like it supersedes the 6 yr/72k mile warranty and limits VW's responsibilty to a maximum of 1 water pump replacement/vehicle. I'm confirming this but that's what an attorney friend said after reviewing the settlement paperwork. I'm likely opting out of the settlement.
What is the benefit of opting out of the settlement?

Got the paperwork. But I have not had the work done as my pump has been 👍.

Assuming this wouldn’t cover premature replacement to avoid a future failure??
I was thinking the same thing, get this out of the way so I don't have to worry about it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
VW would continue to be liable for all water pump replacements and related engine damage to the end of the 6 year warranty period rather than just the first time it happens. If it is like my Passat it took the dealer 3 tries to get a water pump in that didn't leak. Under this settlement I would have had to pay for the last 2 replacements. The risk is that I might have to foot the bill myself if the water pump the fails the first time after the 6 year warranty .

·
Registered
500 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, get this out of the way so I don't have to worry about it!
You can litigate on your own.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The pump housing is what's faulty. Ironically, the older versions had an aluminum housing which seems to never fail. The pump and plastic pipe that runs to it fails but not the housing. I wonder why they left out the Porsche Macan as it has the same E888 engine in it and those housing fail too.

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack S, Red
121 Posts
It's not really "high" pressure, but it's enough (~20 psi) that RTV on the outside is almost 100% likely to NOT work no matter how clean you get it before applying it.
Thanks, not to belabor the point what about JB Weld? I would probably try that if I could reach it. I hope it is a while as only 5k mi on car now and I drive 2200mi/yr. !! 🙂Maybe someone will try it. I would change my own coolant and wouldn't be able to use the warranty anyway.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks, not to belabor the point what about JB Weld? I would probably try that if I could reach it. I hope it is a while as only 5k mi on car now and I drive 2200mi/yr. !! 🙂Maybe someone will try it. I would change my own coolant and wouldn't be able to use the warranty anyway.
I'd be doubtful about that also. But if you could find the exact location of the leak and clean it well, it might work for a while. The 2 issues with anything semi-rigid on the outside sealing a leak in a plastic part are 1) to get good adhesion, and 2) to not have the different thermal-expansion coefficients make it come loose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
VW would continue to be liable for all water pump replacements and related engine damage to the end of the 6 year warranty period rather than just the first time it happens. If it is like my Passat it took the dealer 3 tries to get a water pump in that didn't leak. Under this settlement I would have had to pay for the last 2 replacements. The risk is that I might have to foot the bill myself if the water pump the fails the first time after the 6 year warranty .
Thanks. So it seems we should decide based on our currenty warranty right? My 2018 has a 6 yr basic and powertrain warranty, so that would take me through 2024. If I had a water pump failure in 2025, then I would be responsible for the cost since I'm out of warranty and not in the proposed settlement correct?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
If the settlment is won, then VW will extend the warranty on the water pump out to 8/80 for everyone...you don't need to stay in/out or do anything.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I'd be doubtful about that also. But if you could find the exact location of the leak and clean it well, it might work for a while. The 2 issues with anything semi-rigid on the outside sealing a leak in a plastic part are 1) to get good adhesion, and 2) to not have the different thermal-expansion coefficients make it come loose.
Since it's most likely the housing, to access it, you pretty much need to remove the intake manifold. You can try to flat rate it by just doing the throttle body but that is way too much of a risk to get something wrong. If you want some real fun, try to replace the belt for it as it runs off the back of the balance shaft and it has a LH threaded bolt that's a joy to get off. At least it's not like a Ford 3.5l V6 that's in things like an Explorer. It's internal and runs off the timing chain. Pays 15 hours to replace.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My situation: 2016GSW with 79500 miles. I have a very, very slow loss of coolant (coolant was topped of at 70k oil change by a dealer and I topped off the recovery tank at around 78k with about 4oz of coolant). The 70k oil change was not done by my usual dealer because I couldn’t get an appointment and that dealer in his ”recommendations” of points to be addressed included a leak at the thermostat housing along with a bunch of regular maintenance items that I had already done.
After finding out about the settlement I called that dealer and my regular dealer explaining the situation and both said the replacement would be covered as long as I had the car in for service before 80k and they could verify the leak. I’m leery of the dealer that did the oil change because of his recommendations for service that I had already done and don’t trust them completely but they have an earlier service appointment date available while my regular dealer can’t get me in for two weeks which will put me perilously close to going over 80k.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts