VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do the water pumps last in our VW/VR6's?? Reason is the car is at the dealership for a check engine light and I am having the coolent flushed out. Wonering if I should replace the pump at this time? The car has 115,XXX miles on her. I am planning on keeping it for a while. Thanks for the input.

·
18,975 Posts
Re: Water Pump (scooter45)

Take it to a certified VW mechanic if you want to have the pump replaced. The dealership will charge you an arm and a leg... if you're having your coolant flushed it is the time to do it.
The pumps last a loooong time. I replaced mine at 150,000 miles or so just as a preventative measure.
Search a bit, there is info. available.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Veedub_junky)

i replaced mine at ~87k.
the o-ring seal thingamajig went and it was slowly leaking. like a cup of coolant every 2 days.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Re: FV-QR (koko5869)

i replaced mine at 51k cause the motor was apart basically anyway.
the safety of a metal impeller is nice..

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Re: FV-QR (One Gray GLI)

Quote, originally posted by One Gray GLI »
i replaced mine at 51k cause the motor was apart basically anyway.
the safety of a metal impeller is nice..

i also went with the metal. its nicer than the plastic, but the only thought that worried me is if the bearing goes, the metal will start machining the impellor or block. but i guess the bearings never really go out right? its either oring or impellar breaks.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Re: FV-QR (koko5869)

yeaa.. oring just deteriorates over time..and the impeller failure can be avoided with a metal one..so yeah.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: FV-QR (One Gray GLI)

Thanks for the info. The dealer wants 400 bucks to replace it.
I think I will do it myself if and when it ever goes out.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
They tend to go around 100k. I've done mine twice and it isn't that bad.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Water Pump (scooter45)

I think I will hold off right now, I beleive I can change it out myself. Any tricks on getting the air out of the system without shop equipment? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Just run it til warm with the coolant cap off, and run the heater.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by apstguy »
Just run it til warm with the coolant cap off, and run the heater.

x2 - I usually run mine for ~15 minutes with the cap off, topping off as needed until the level is right in the reservoir. I personally haven't run the heater, although I've seen it recommended several times. I haven't had any problems, but it certainly won't hurt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.