VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...well, dry fit, as is the turbo, so hold off on the obvious "Not bolted tight" comments:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Waterjacket Plumbing Installed :D (Bad Habit)

I was a tad concerned about that, but I figured this much
My engine barely moves, I have a video of me on a dyno going up to 6500 in 4th gear, and the engine barely budged, so I'd imageine the play in the heatercore hoses is enough
I have a full KCD kit and soon to have OEM TDI tranny mount going in

·
Banned
3,053 Posts
Re: Waterjacket Plumbing Installed :D (Pagano)

that car is going to be slooooooooooow.

looks good bro, goodluck with it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Re: Waterjacket Plumbing Installed :D (vwgroundzero)

Honestly bro,I would get high temp silicone water hose,or make something that will brace that better...copper is soft and doesn't have high fatigue resistance,and the engine vibrations alone IMO will crack that setup..........silicone hose works well................

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Waterjacket Plumbing Installed :D (Holy Piston)

I've seen Type L fittings on chillers and Air Handling Units that would kick the fillings out of your teeth. Once brazed they never cracked or failed in commercial applications with 24 hour uptime conditions.
The flex given by the heatercore hoses will be more than enough dampening for this situation. WORST Case, I could isolate that system entirely by using hoses from the downpipe section over, but that'd be overkill to this situation.
If the runs were longer, then I'd agree with you, but a 1foot run shouldn't have an issue.
Edit.
Also, they won't just be swinging in the breeze as shown there, but I need to get everything installed first and dryfit before I figure out how to support them if at all needed.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Waterjacket Plumbing Installed :D (speed51133!)

Quote, originally posted by speed51133! »
how about a hose spiget to drain the coolant attached to the radiator?

'eh?
you mean like a ball valve attached to a tee at the base of the radiator where it goes into the thermostat housing...

Even if that's NOT what you ment, I think I may implement that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
i think its a pretty kewl setup , but imo i wouldve used stainless piping a wee bit more $$ but would look much nicer
but then again looks arnt everything

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (LupoGtiTurbo)

I would of used stainless however I had some crazy clearance issues with the turbo on the hotside where the flange for the manifold is, the copper fittings BARELY fit (see 2nd pic)

·
Registered
28 Posts
the other thing is .. wouldnt it have been better to plumb in cold water lines instead of hot ? (i do realise the hot water would only be a fraction of what the turbo temp is going to be at)
i am planning on taking out the oil/water cooler and using those for the turbo , and installing a seperate oil cooler
btw what type of fittings are you using into the turbo ? it dont look like compression (olive type) so how would you remove the pipes if required ?

Modified by LupoGtiTurbo at 11:14 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (LupoGtiTurbo)

Where would I go about locating cold water lines - in an engine bay.
If I could find those factory I would ditch the FMIC and get an air/water IC, as would everyone else in this forum.
Eventually I'd like to do something else, but until I get a seperate pump to run chilled water - this will work better than simply being oil cooled.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Re: (Anand20v)

just run a dry bearing turbo and your wouldn't have to worry about all of this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts