VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back from having some body work done including a new hood and trunk lid that were painted and blended. The shop told me I should wait 90 days before I wax it next but that seems excessive to me.....

Anyone care to chime in with their thoughts? I could've swore last time I was told like 4 weeks

Thanks

· Registered
1,477 Posts
I was told 30 to 60 when I had paint work done. I am sure this number will never fully be decided on. I was also told that if you use a liquid wax you can do it after 30 days or something lower like that.

My understanding from what I was told was that the liquid doesn't cause a seal over the paint and the paint can still breath. Where a paste wax creates a seal/barrier and will effect the drying/curing of the paint.

I would do 60 days, I can't imagine in this heat everyone is having anything can't be cured in 60 days. But I am not at all a body guy nor a painter.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah 60 is probably safe, I'm sure it is all precaution so the body shop doesn't get held liable...thanks for the input:thumbup:

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is another thread discussing pretty much the same thing right now :p.

90 days is not excessive. I would stick to what the shop says as they will know the paint they used on your car best. Keep the paint cleaned by washing and drying properly and it will be fine.
Yeah, actually the more I thought about it I have plenty of time to wax it now that I live down south and winters aren't bad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.