VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wayne's R - Stage 3 build thread

I meant to start this thread when I got the car, but better late than never.

I’ve wanted a VW for years, but always ended up in something else for one reason or another. In 2010 I picked up a used 2008 Wolfsberg Jetta and loved everything about it. I didn’t mod it at all, and mid-2011 I decided the time was right to buy something fun and I went out and traded the Jetta in towards a new ’11 GTI. I quickly installed an APR K04 kit, LED tails, RNS510, and a few other subtle mods.
Then the R was released in the states. :D The GTI was perfect for me, with two exceptions - it wasn’t AWD, and I didn’t buy it with leather which I started to regret. I needed to fix these two first world problems, and started the search for an R.

May 2012 I picked up my Black 4-dr R, and the fun began. Pics will be added/updated as I have time.

List of parts installed so far:

Go-Fast Parts:
Forged Internals - Mahle Pistons
APR Stage 3 kit
Runner Flap Delete
APR TBE
APR HPFP
APR Intercooler
South Bend Stage 3 Endurance clutch
Haldex switchable controller

OEM Full Color MFD Instrument Cluster
OEM Aspherical Mirrors
Audi S-line shifter
HPA Short Shifter
RNS-510 + 9W7 Bluetooth
OEM Cubby
OEM Door puddle lights + LED Boldsport bulbs
OEM Euro cup holder

KW V3 Coilovers
HRE R40 Wheels, PSS Tires
Euro Front Bumper
LED Tails

The day I traded in the GTI and picked up the R:

More to follow :beer:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Adding a few pics for fun.

Cute stock engine bay:

Around 1 month of ownership and 900 miles on the clock, and I took it over to Banchwerks for an APR tune:

Quick call over to HRE and a little later I had some wheels:

Can't trust just anyone with my wheels, so time to head back over to Banchwerks to have some Pilot Super Sports mounted on the HREs:

HREs were begging for a little height adjustment, KW V3s should do the trick:

Euro bumper? Check. (Will add photos of it installed later on when the weather is better)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
FV-QR

damn, you don't mess around! car looks great so far. definitely want to see some pics with the coils and bumper on

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coming from a K04 GTI, I needed to up the go-fast game. APR released their TBE, and I quickly ordered it and supporting hardware to go Stage 2+. TBE, HPFP, Intercooler.

Stage 2+ is nice, very nice in fact. Buuuut.... then APR went and built their Stage 3 kit.

I thought that I'd stop at 2+, I'm building this car for me - fast, fun, and no compromise on comfort is the goal. But the R just didn't "feel" as fast at 2+ as my GTI did. I thought about it long and hard. Work is *very* busy, I travel often, my car is a daily, I want to do the Stage 3 install but I'm really short on time and don't have a 2nd vehicle to cover the daily duties.

Time to make another phone call - this time, to the guys over at RSWorks. Done deal, Stage 3. I trust them to handle the install, so I made the 3.5 hour drive down to their shop and left my car for 5 days where JR and crew gave it a little love.

Let the fun begin:

Stock clutch isn't going to work here... let's drop in a DXD Stage 3 Endurance for good measure:

Let's be realistic, I'm going to want to run 100 octane, I'm going to want more out of this... fine, tear apart the motor and install Mahle forged pistons and forged rods!

A little Runner Flap Delete love:

Now let's put it all back together almost like we found it. Stage 3? Check.

RSWorx did a nice writeup of this build here on the forums and on their Builds page:
http://www.redlinespeedworx.com/golf-r-forged-internals-apr-stage-3/

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday, I installed the BSH PCV Revamp, and also finally removed that silly filler neck thing. I just need to modify my R8 cap someday so it sits properly.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ridiculous...bravo :thumbup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nice HRE's, even if they cost more then the Stage 3 kit :)

Amazing build, Nice JOB:beer: Curious if you considered getting your block done to go with larger pistons versus keeping the stock size when you had it all torn apart.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice HRE's, even if they cost more then the Stage 3 kit :)

Amazing build, Nice JOB:beer: Curious if you considered getting your block done to go with larger pistons versus keeping the stock size when you had it all torn apart.
Thanks! If spring would visit the northeast already I could take some better exterior shots with everything installed.

I considered it, but in the end didn't think it was worth the additional cost. I have more ideas in mind, but that'll involve finding someone to whip up a custom tune for me.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I think I love driving my car too much...

I picked mine up at the end of May 2012, and I'm about 2500 miles behind you. I might catch up when we go to the MotoGP race in Austin (19-21 April).

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Lovely!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts