VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a way I can mount a racing harness without drilling or making permanent mods? Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,794 Posts
Re: Ways to mount a racing harness? (Ajlepisto)

like a five or four point? well, if want it to function it needs to be attached to something that is attached to the frame (preferable welded, like a roll cage or cross bar), so it will require at the least drilling, though i don't know if i'd trust just that.
if you're worried about the warrantee, you will have voided it long long ago making the car powerful enough to justify a race harness.
if you want it just for looks, i'd suggest getting some of the pads that go on the seat belts, preferable with a "power by something" logo on it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,121 Posts
Re: Ways to mount a racing harness? (rs4-380)

id suggest not to get a harness for dialy driving, it is pointless and dangerous.
you should [stress on the should] use a harness with a roll bar.
in the event of a rollover, you will not be crushed to your death with stock seatbelts...
but can break your neck or spine from being strapped in by a harness.
also if the harness is mounted too low, in the event of a rear end collision, the harness can tug down and compress your spine...

· Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Ways to mount a racing harness? (dubster3126)

Quote, originally posted by dubster3126 »
like a five or four point? well, if want it to function it needs to be attached to something that is attached to the frame (preferable welded, like a roll cage or cross bar), so it will require at the least drilling, though i don't know if i'd trust just that.
if you're worried about the warrantee, you will have voided it long long ago making the car powerful enough to justify a race harness.
if you want it just for looks, i'd suggest getting some of the pads that go on the seat belts, preferable with a "power by something" logo on it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I am worried about the warrentee, because I wanna race in the stock auto-x class, but I dont want to be thrown around the car, I need support, which is what the harness would bring. thats why I didnt wnat permanent mods, because I want to be able to change them in and out.

· Registered
2,598 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ajlepisto »

I am worried about the warrentee, because I wanna race in the stock auto-x class, but I dont want to be thrown around the car, I need support, which is what the harness would bring. thats why I didnt wnat permanent mods, because I want to be able to change them in and out.

Have you checked to see if a harness would violate stock rules? Iam new to AutoX and have been focusing on STS and STX rules ... just thought I'd ask.

· Registered
1,662 Posts
Dunno if it's race legal but:
My shoulder straps are connected to the rear child seat anchors and the lap straps loop around the seat tracks.
For everyday driving I usually use the lap belts and the right shoulder.

· Registered
4,466 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Ajlepisto »

A belt won't void your warranty. Get yourself a nice three point belt and attach it to the factory belt positions and you won't have nay problems. I personally prefer Schroth belts over any other brand.

· Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
39,881 Posts
s 16660 Quick Fit Belts - VW/AUDI Black Right Silver $224.95
s 16662 Quick Fit Belts - VW/AUDI Red Right Silver $224.95
s 16162 Quick Fit Belts - VW/AUDI Red Left Silver $224.95
s 16160 Quick Fit Belts - VW/AUDI Black Left Silver $224.95
that's found in the Quick Fit section of hms motorsport's site.... if those aren't meant for vw/audi i don't know what is. these seem to be the kind that snap right in without any extra crap to do?

1000 post by the way!

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 10:22 AM 1-13-2004

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 10:24 AM 1-13-2004

· Registered
1,187 Posts

hmm running bone stock in DS or even GS will be very competitive. I know it's ridiculous, but stock classes are usually faster than STS/STX and beyond, because of a) the R compounds and b) the $2000 shocks that people put on their stock cars.
but yeah, i know what you mean about not wanting to get tossed around. i just put in a sparco 4pt for A/X (well the eye-bolts at least, i take it out when it's not A/X Sunday). 2 bolts into the stock belt locations on the bottom for the lap belt, and the 2 long belt bolts into the rear Driver's side passenger seat belt connection.
edit: you might want to try these torso belts from G-Force
http://www.racerwholesale.com/...aints
Keep you from sliding side to side, but they look like they'll take out a couple of ribs if you're ever in a collision.

Modified by r03 at 5:41 PM 1-13-2004

· Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Ways to mount a racing harness? (r03)

Quote, originally posted by r03 »
...i know what you mean about not wanting to get tossed around. i just put in a sparco 4pt for A/X (well the eye-bolts at least, i take it out when it's not A/X Sunday). 2 bolts into the stock belt locations on the bottom for the lap belt, and the 2 long belt bolts into the rear Driver's side passenger seat belt connection.

Hmm, can you expand on this a little? That SOUNDS like its what I was lookin for...can you still use the stock seatbelt for driving around town, and then put the harnesses in and go? cause thats exactly what I was lookin for, without spending 225$ EACH! for ones that plug into factory positions. Im going to be taking some racing schools, and I would like to have 2 harnesses for the instructor and driver. Thats why. Plus, if I ever wanna take a ride along.
Can you explain how they "bolt" in? I can figure out how the harness lays out, but I just didn't know how to attach them without doing any permanent mods (i.e. drilling-because I dont want to void my warrentee or anything, so that way I can race, put em in, then take them out afterwards, and its totally back to stock.) Im not sure I really explained this all that well....

· Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

bump

· Registered
4,466 Posts

Taking a harness in and out takes a little bit of time. With proper installation, you can use your factory belt for daily driving with no issue. I've had a harness installed in just about every car I've owned for the last 5 years. Take a look where your factory belts are mounted and you'll get an idea to where the harness needs to be secured.

Modified by Driftin GTI at 10:32 PM 1-13-2004

· Registered
33,807 Posts
Re: (Driftin GTI)

Quote, originally posted by Driftin GTI »

they don't, all harnesses are universal. Take a look at this page for more info on Schroth Harnesses: http://schroth.com/products_en/privat/privat.htm I used to be a Schroth dealer and never had a problem with them.

Yes, this is incorrect. Schroth has a vw/audi specific clip in belt. It uses 2 or 3 clip in style mounting points, the outside seatbelt rail is the traditional "bolt-in" I have seen these belts in person and they look very easy to install.
If anyone wants to order through HMS pm me, as I have a contact there that is easy to deal with. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif On a side note. HMS is the only automotive importer into the usa (for schroth)

· Registered
2,841 Posts

NASA or SCCA or ?
Both of these groups are fairly detailled about thier tech. inspections,.....if your harness isn't bolted in according to spec. then you probably won't be able to use them.
Stock belts are fine.

· Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Ways to mount a racing harness? (feuerdog)

bump again

pic for attn

Modified by Ajlepisto at 10:06 PM 1-13-2004

· Registered
1,187 Posts
i am not near the 2.slow right now so i can't give you a VW specific installation walkthrough but basically what you do is look at your stock seat belt bolt in locations.
the lap belt on your 3pt is secured to the chassis near the bottom of your seat, by a bolt or something like it. when you get your harness hardware it will either be a clip in or a permanent install, i'm using a clip in sparco. remove that bolt and look at the thread. Sparco supplied me with a 7/16" - 20 eyebolt. this happened to fit into the hole where the stock belt connected to. i replaced the OE belt and used the eye bolt instead so that the stock belt is still bolted in but at the end there's a loop where i can clip the harness into.
now the buckle part of the belt should be secured by bolt to the seat. you'll remove the seat so you can get clearance, and unscrew that bolt. replace it with an eyebolt.
in the rear, you'll want to use the rear driver's side passenger shoulder bolt to clip into. replace the assembly and make it so you can clip onto it.
once you dig around and see how the seatbelt system works, and get some harnesses it should be readily apparent on how to install them. basically you want them to bolt into the chassis, and you want the 2 rear belts to attach parallel to your shoulders to prevent compression in the event of a collision.
once again, i'd only use harny's for A/X. I can't imagine flipping a car at A/X (though i'm sure it's happened on rare occasion) and i'm a little more hesitant to use the harness at HPDE's...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.