441 - 460 of 466 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,285 Posts
3 years, 3 months, and I'm still trying to find a body shop that will take $1000s from me to fix that rocker rust. Still, this is a lifetime car for me. I've been through so much with it in so little time:

My original long term plan was my Mk2, but some Subaru stoner named Zach Maki had other plans on the morning of September 22, 2016. 16 years down the tubes, 2 years of recovery from the neck injury, and I had to fight with his Esurance company for 8 months to get $10k for this...

Keep your heads up people. The morons out there have phones that are way more important than your life or your lifetime car ever will be.

·
Registered
900 Posts
3 years, 3 months, and I'm still trying to find a body shop that will take $1000s from me to fix that rocker rust. Still, this is a lifetime car for me. I've been through so much with it in so little time:

My original long term plan was my Mk2, but some Subaru stoner named Zach Maki had other plans on the morning of September 22, 2016. 16 years down the tubes, 2 years of recovery from the neck injury, and I had to fight with his Esurance company for 8 months to get $10k for this...

Keep your heads up people. The morons out there have phones that are way more important than your life or your lifetime car ever will be.
Jeez, what a douche! Goddamn Subies and their Stoned/Vaping owners.

About the Rust, cant you cut it all off, find a donor MK4 at the junkyard and weld in a new piece? Which is not rusted?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
About the Rust, cant you cut it all off, find a donor MK4 at the junkyard and weld in a new piece? Which is not rusted?
This is pattern rust on these cars where I live, so I'd have to get something from 1000-3000 miles away to find a donor that is both clean and junk at the same time. I already have Klokkerholm sheet metal on hand for the repair. I'm expecting to have to do all the metal/welding/internal rustproofing and then have the outside painted. Any number of places will do that. It's just that it's a terrible job and nobody wants to do it, including me. I'll end up taking a week vacation to do it sometime, and at least then I'll get paid to do it.

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
228 Posts
I am 10 years on one and 4 on the other. Do I get to add those together or ....?
This is pattern rust on these cars where I live, so I'd have to get something from 1000-3000 miles away to find a donor that is both clean and junk at the same time. I already have Klokkerholm sheet metal on hand for the repair. I'm expecting to have to do all the metal/welding/internal rustproofing and then have the outside painted. Any number of places will do that. It's just that it's a terrible job and nobody wants to do it, including me. I'll end up taking a week vacation to do it sometime, and at least then I'll get paid to do it.

Where you at? Junk yard here in TX is full of rust free mk4s.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Where you at?
Rusty Upstate NY, bro. I've been happily driving my E30 today, heading towards another winter of letting my trash rocket Honda absorb all the brine and salt that all the folks around here thought wasn't going to destroy their Mk4 back in the day. Even when it's not winter, we generally have high humidity. It's hard to keep cars from rusting. Only drive them on nice/saltless days and store them in a garage that has A/C or a fans running all year round to circulate air.

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
228 Posts
Rusty Upstate NY, bro. I've been happily driving my E30 today, heading towards another winter of letting my trash rocket Honda absorb all the brine and salt that all the folks around here thought wasn't going to destroy their Mk4 back in the day. Even when it's not winter, we generally have high humidity. It's hard to keep cars from rusting. Only drive them on nice/saltless days and store them in a garage that has A/C or a fans running all year round to circulate air.

Behind the fender there collects debris runoff from under the cowl. In the salt land that is going to brine mixed with road compost, I bet it freezes and the expansion busts it all up after the salt eats away its soul.

If you are really after a pair of un-rusted replacement rocker corners I have a sweet sawzall. I don't know what the junk yard would charge for pieces like that but I wouldn't expect too much.

441 - 460 of 466 Posts