VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As our 2018 Ram Laramie lease was coming to an end, our intention was to lease another Ram. However, COVID and chip shortages have caused an inventory problem. Also due to inventory constraints, manufacturers are lowering lease support so lease prices are creeping up.

We were looking for another Ram Laramie but wanted a few options: Night Edition, Hemi, Advanced Safety Group (includes Adaptive Cruise), Laramie Level 2 package (includes 19 speaker HK sound system and power tailgate-release), power running-boards and the 12” display. Sunroof was also on the want list but wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

Unfortunately, these were hard to find in Metro Detroit and the dealerships that did have them were not willing to dealer trade and/or haggle on price. So, we went in another direction.

We needed something that could comfortably tow our boat so that limited us to a vehicle with capacity of 6,000+ pounds. We didn’t want a different brand pickup. Also, I have always liked the Dodge Durango. Was interested in a R/T (especially in Reactor Blue). However, like the RAM it was impossible to find one optioned like we wanted - for example, the R/T doesn't even come standard with towing package. The easiest way to get the options we wanted was to go with a Citadel Hemi.

We came down with COVID right after picking it up so I haven’t had much time to enjoy it but the new 10.1” Uconnect system is much improved and really slick. Wireless Android Auto in itself makes getting a new car almost worth it. Dodge is also on point with their V8 exhaust sound tuning.

The Citadel does have a softer ride than the R/T so it will be better for longer trips. And it will also be better for trips than the Ram. The 3-rows of seating will come in handy as well.

If you are really bored, here is a YouTube walkthrough video of an identical Citadel:

Old and new rides...

Don't mind the grass, the photos are from a month ago and the lawn is looking much greener now we are warming up for spring...

My wife calls it an "old man color" but I am 41 and really like it...

Another bonus about getting the Durango instead of another Ram is I don't have to buy another bed cover and bedliner. We got some Tuxmat floormats and have an appointment scheduled for tinting the front windows to match the rear windows.

·
Registered
2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
4,080 Posts
Nicely done! I have to hand it to Dodge for being able to pull of milking a 10 year old design and still managing to make it look good and modern. This is definitely one of my guilty pleasures, especially with the Hemi.
So is the tail lamp design different now? Does it not illuminate around the entire ring anymore?

·
Registered
19,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nicely done! I have to hand it to Dodge for being able to pull of milking a 10 year old design and still managing to make it look good and modern. This is definitely one of my guilty pleasures, especially with the Hemi.
So is the tail lamp design different now? Does it not illuminate around the entire ring anymore?
I agree, just like the Charger and Challenger they are doing a good job of keeping an old design fresh. I also like how they continually update them from year to year rather than waiting for mid-cycle refreshes.

Luckily it still illuminates...

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
I think it still does on the Durango. My criticism was that at one time, the whole brand had it!

Then they modified the Challenger tails into two seperate lamps, for some unknown reason.

·
Registered
19,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice - congrats! Glad to hear you're doing better after COVID too. (y)

Does the current version do wireless Carplay?
Thank you - I went from being out of breath walking 10 steps to the bathroom two weeks ago to walking over 10,000 steps (~5 miles).

Yes, the 10.1" (Uconnect 5) does have wireless Carplay.

·
Registered
2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
4,080 Posts
Just want to throw in my additional congratulations and good wishes on you for beating COVID. I can't imagine, and I'm sorry you went through that. Jesus what a horrific virus.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Challenger upgrade was to make it look like a 71. Been that way since the introduction of the Hellcat.
I'm aware of what they were trying to do. But they didn't update the rest of the line, so now it's not cohesive.

If they had just evolved the 70 aesthetic and done a stronger racetrack of light on the challenger, it could have started to build a visual brand language that would be difficult to copy without looking like you're copying Dodge.

Also i think the twin lights on the 71 look way worse compared to the 70, just my opinion.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Glad to hear the lawn is doing better.
Nice Durango looks good in white. I parked next to one identical to yours at Home Depot over the weekend and my Wife thinks we need one to match her charger. I do like the cold starts my Wife’s charger makes. Are they available without the 3rd row?

·
Registered
19,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to hear the lawn is doing better.
Nice Durango looks good in white. I parked next to one identical to yours at Home Depot over the weekend and my Wife thinks we need one to match her charger. I do like the cold starts my Wife’s charger makes. Are they available without the 3rd row?
Third row is standard on the Citadel but believe it is optional on the lowest trim(s).

My pre-Giulia car was a 2017 Challenger Scat Pack 6-speed. I loved cold starts...here it is:

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm aware of what they were trying to do. But they didn't update the rest of the line, so now it's not cohesive.

If they had just evolved the 70 aesthetic and done a stronger racetrack of light on the challenger, it could have started to build a visual brand language that would be difficult to copy without looking like you're copying Dodge.

Also i think the twin lights on the 71 look way worse compared to the 70, just my opinion.
I just remember when they did the 2015 roll out, Tim K kept talking about it being like the 71.
It wasn't until they tacked on the widebody fenders did I really start to like this new Challenger body style

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.