VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two years ago, my wife and I bought a 2011 Rav4 for her DD. We thought it would be a nice family car. Bought it right before our daughter was born. It is a decent family car. Tons of room, more than a car that small should have. And it's great in the snow, way better than I expected.

But, she hasn't really liked it since we got it. I kind of agree. I drive it on long trips. I'm 6-2 and the driver's seat doesn't go far back enough for me so it's a tight fit. It also has a lot of wind noise.

So we need something that matches the following criteria, in no particular order:

• Fits two car seats (one front facing, one rear facing) as we have a second daughter coming in June. I'm not one of these people who thinks I need a Tahoe for two kids (we'll be keeping my JSW and also putting the two seats in that). So this one should be pretty easy.
  • Has decent cargo space. We use it for trips to my parents house a few times a year, one being Christmas, when we have to haul tons of stuff home.
  • OK to drive, as in: decent handling, not noisy as hell.
  • Under $30K, the less the better. New or used, depending on the deal we can get.
  • Decent MPG (the Rav4 gets 23/28 so in this range is OK. She only drives ~14K/yr).

My wife is on her own for picking the car since she's the one driving it. I'm just offering my help if she asks. So I am creating a short list for her. The dealer auto show with ALL the dealers locally is in the area this weekend so we are going to go there to look at stuff. But with so many choices, i wanted to narrow down the list a little.
  • XV Crosstrek (a friend of her's has one and she liked it. I'm concerned about the fact that it is under powered and also worried it'll be too small)
  • JSW (she likes driving mine, but I'm not sure about having a second VW even though the 2.5 runs like a refrigerator while being as exciting as one :) )
  • Escape (I mentioned this one and she said she liked it, I don't know much about them though)
  • Altima (she drove one of these when we looked at the Rav4 and liked it, that was the last gen though). Her previous DD was a Grand Am and she said this had a similar feel.
Ones that are probably off the list:
  • Rogue (we drove this when we were looking at the Rav4 and it felt cheap)
  • Tiguan (too small, too expensive, JSW has the same amount of room for alot less money)

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
Lol another outlier Altima on someone's shortlist.

I would consider the CX-5. Sounds like it ticks all of your boxes and fixes everything you didn't like about your RAV4.

Why not just use the JSW for her DD and get something else for you?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lol another outlier Altima on someone's shortlist.

I would consider the CX-5. Sounds like it ticks all of your boxes and fixes everything you didn't like about your RAV4.

Why not just use the JSW for her DD and get something else for you?
HAHA. Not my list so I claim no responsibility for the contents. My list for replacing MY DD consists of TCL approved manual wagons...

I thought of that DD switch with my wife. The JSW is paid for too. But it also has 80K miles so it'll need to be replaced sooner than even the Rav4 if we were to keep it.

I will add the CX-5, that is a good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
2022 BMW X5 xDrive45e; 2015.5 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-e; 2013 Ford Focus ST3; 2004 BMW R1150R
5,048 Posts
Came in to post CX-5.

Since that's been done already, howe about a used Acura TSX wagon?

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
The JSW is paid for too. But it also has 80K miles so it'll need to be replaced sooner than even the Rav4 if we were to keep it.
80k on a 2.5 is nothing. :thumbup:

That engine is really bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've been quite pleased with our '13 Outback (3.6R Ltd) - great for road trips, lotsa space, and quite comfortable.

We've got one front-facing seat and a dog - so roof box is necessary for any long trip.. second kid could really change things here though.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
From your short list, I'm going to guess that the Altima will please her the most. An alternative is the new Passat. I'm 6'2" and also fit a rear facing child seat behind me, with about 3 inches to spare. The legroom is seriously cavernous. I'd be tempted by the 3.6 SE, as my buddy just picked a leftover 2013 model with Nav (MSRP $32k) for $25k.

·
Registered
26,536 Posts
JSW... But it also has 80K miles so it'll need to be replaced sooner than even the Rav4 if we were to keep it.
say what? why?:screwy:
who cares if it has 80k miles.

the 2.5 is a very reliable engine. and the rest of the mk5/6 platform is pretty solid as well.

my cars...
2k miles (we just bought it end of Nov new)
137k bought it 2 years ago at 128k
158k bought it 2.5 yrs at 135k.
160k bought it 6 years ago with 154k (my toy/project)

and this is just my current list of high mileage cars. i have a number of others in my past.

80k miles on an 09 2.5l is young. i don't get why you would need to replace it anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
80k miles on an 09 2.5l is young. i don't get why you would need to replace it anytime soon.
Yeah you are probably right aboht that. I was going off the days of 80s and 90s GM and Ford products when the 100k mark was a miracle so you always unloaded them before that.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts
If you want something slightly bigger, I would look at the dodge Journey. My wife loves hers. It is not the greatest vehicle but for the price it is hard to beat for size.:beer:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Ford edge, BMW X5, Audi Q5, Volvo CX90, Acura MDX the list goes on...do a day of test driving, look at slightly used low miles with a warranty.

The midsize to small SUV segment has a massive array of options. Most are actually quite nice for the money.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but the Rogue you test drove 2 years ago was completely different from what they're selling now.

I second this. When my wife mentioned she wanted to look at a Rogue I pictured the previous gen in my head and thought "why". I was positively surprised when we actually checked one out. We ended up going with another Outback (my recommendation to the OP), but the Rogue is a decent car that deserves another look if you haven't checked out the new one.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX (hand me down from wife), 2016 Ford Explorer (Wifes)
783 Posts
IMO the Crosstrek will be way too small for the cargo portion of what you are looking.

The CX-5 seems like a good recommendation, and I think an outback would be good too. Also I kind of like the new Jeep Cherokee. That might be something to look at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
Impreza | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,072 Posts
80k on a 2.5 is nothing. :thumbup:

That engine is really bulletproof.
This. MK5Golf has almost 100k miles on hers and the thing still drives like new with 0 problems. You can keep your JSW for a long time.
IMO the Crosstrek will be way too small for the cargo portion of what you are looking.
This. :thumbup: RAV4 rapes this for room (and speed:laugh:).

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
  • Fits two car seats (one front facing, one rear facing) as we have a second daughter coming in June. I'm not one of these people who thinks I need a Tahoe for two kids (we'll be keeping my JSW and also putting the two seats in that). So this one should be pretty easy.
  • Has decent cargo space. We use it for trips to my parents house a few times a year, one being Christmas, when we have to haul tons of stuff home.
  • OK to drive, as in: decent handling, not noisy as hell.
  • Under $30K, the less the better. New or used, depending on the deal we can get.
  • Decent MPG (the Rav4 gets 23/28 so in this range is OK. She only drives ~14K/yr).

My wife is on her own for picking the car since she's the one driving it. I'm just offering my help if she asks. So I am creating a short list for her. The dealer auto show with ALL the dealers locally is in the area this weekend so we are going to go there to look at stuff. But with so many choices, i wanted to narrow down the list a little.
  • XV Crosstrek (a friend of her's has one and she liked it. I'm concerned about the fact that it is under powered and also worried it'll be too small)

• If she liked the Crosstrek despite being too small, why not check out the Forester? Much larger cargo area than the Crosstrek, and it has the FB25 instead of the FB20. Ticks every box you have. Basically the same interior as the Crosstrek as well.

I realize the 2014 Forester is completely new, however my Dad's 2012 Forester is a great car, despite the antiquated 4-speed auto. I drove it to Philly this past weekend, and it's very comfortable and averaged 27 MPG. The 175HP FB25 is adequate for the car, and it moves around just fine. I can only image the 2014 Forester would be even better.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Good thing you won't have to see OP's if he does get a CR-V. :thumbup:

I would also add the Murano to the list of cars to check out. Maybe a CPO EX35 or Tiguan if it has enough space for baby stuff.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.