VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 1763 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here are few from two weekends ago...
A big brook trout was chasing a rainbow that my friend had caught, he ended up netting them both (the rainbow was bigger and is in the second picture). The third is me with another brook that I caught at the same time as the other two.
EDIT: taken on foam hoppers

Modified by SivNiz at 1:08 PM 7-7-2009

·
Registered
453 Posts
My last catch, caught this whopper pike yesterday on a Rapala

I'm not much of a fisherman, I used to fish alot when I was younger but never really took it to the next level because I had nobody to teach me the ropes of being a "complete angler"
Anyway this week I bought myself a new pole, it's a Shakespeare Synergy supreme 8' stick with 4 bearing reel. Spooled it up with some Berkley Trilene XL "Smooth Casting" 12lbs line and I'm good to go. I live in Finland and we have some awesome lakes to fish in, about 170.000 to be more precise. We have some Bass but most of the time you'll catch Pike, Trout and even Salmon sometimes!
Some of my favourite spots:
This is a 10 minute walk from my house, it's a quiet and calm river that turns into a rapid, you can see the waterfall on the right, out of sight on the left are some lillies and waterplants that offer excellent protection for this big predators

This is more like a 10 minute drive from my house, it's a pretty known place in this area called "Vantaankoski". Again it's a river that turns into a rapid and than turns into a nice bassin where you can find all sorts of fish.

View from the other bank:

One day I'd like to catch a pike of this size

But for now I'll be happy with something like this

As I said before, I'm still a learner so any tips in general would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I tried to catch some walleye today... I failed.. I just don't know how to catch a walleye, and now it is my goal to do so.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It's not uncommon for walleye to get less aggressive during the mid-summer months. They tend to move to deeper water and don't hit as hard on bait.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Spent the weekend with my sister and brother at their house in the Croton Watershed, 177 square miles of drainage with 12 resevoirs and miles of tailwater streams flowing from one into another.
The water is clean, alive with insects, and loaded with healthy fish, most of which end up in the resevoirs and then just migrate back up the streams... I don't think I've taken a rainbow or brown less than 12" this entire weekend, and several were 18" or larger.
To say nothing of the 3#+ largemouth that nailed, of all things, a size 16 green pennel wetfly in one of the nicest little trout pools I've seen.
Who'd have thought 50 miles north of New York I'd find such an awesome coldwater fishery.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Re: (pacerhimself)

Quote, originally posted by pacerhimself »
It's not uncommon for walleye to get less aggressive during the mid-summer months. They tend to move to deeper water and don't hit as hard on bait.

you have to be real patient while they take the bait. when you feel the twitch, count to 10, then set the hook.

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
hey folks.. no pics of live fish today, but we did manage 20 some crappie, about the same number of LM bass, one of which was 5 pounds and my cousin is having mounted (don't worry this lake is INFESTED with LM)
pulled these from the freezer form a few weeks ago.. we took home 50 in 2 hours
!
a nice plate of pan fried bluegill fillets coated in an egg wash and cornmeal/flour mixture and then dressed with melted butter and lemon.. quite possibly the best plate of fish I have ever eaten in my life..

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Re: (gintaras)

I spent the weekend up in Hayward, WI...Muskie central.
I didn't plan on catching any muskie, I just brought my $5 light action rod thinking one of the nieces/nephews would throw it in the lake.
Sunday morning I woke up and went right down to the dock to throw some worms at the panfish. I was reeling in a little blue gill when all of the sudden a muskie, at least 36" came out of nowhere and grabbed my little fish right at the end of the dock!
The fight was on, muskie went right to the middle of the lake. I've never seen my line come off the reel so fast. I thought for sure it was going to break. I fought the fish back in 3 times to the dock, it was a good 4 minutes of fight. The whole time I'm yelling for someone up in the cabin to run the landing net down to the dock. Nobody heard me. The 3rd time I had him at the dock, he finally spit the fish out...needless to say, the blue gill was goner, not much left of him.
I've heard 'fish stories' like this, always thinking they were just stories...nope, it happened to me!

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Re: (54-46)

Quote, originally posted by 54-46 »

Spent the weekend with my sister and brother at their house in the Croton Watershed, 177 square miles of drainage with 12 resevoirs and miles of tailwater streams flowing from one into another.
Who'd have thought 50 miles north of New York I'd find such an awesome coldwater fishery.

Yup, this is where I fish. Your fishing in NYC's unfiltered drinking water if you can believe it. You need both a NYC watershed permit and NYS fishing license to do so legally. And the DEC cops are all other the place even on jetski's. But anglers can't even use an electric motor. Heck you even need a hang tag to park on the side of the road along the reservior. Good fishing though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Re: (tjm0852)

Quote, originally posted by tjm0852 »

Yup, this is where I fish. Your fishing in NYC's unfiltered drinking water if you can believe it. You need both a NYC watershed permit and NYS fishing license to do so legally. And the DEC cops are all other the place even on jetski's. But anglers can't even use an electric motor. Heck you even need a hang tag to park on the side of the road along the reservior. Good fishing though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Yeah, I'm really surprised at how unspoilt it is, but I guess the NYC tourists don't wanna crap where they eat, and the locals like their wilderness.
He's got a boat on one of the resevoirs, don't remember which (Croton or Tinniticus, I think), but we spent the bulk of our time on the streams. While I apprechiate a good fight from something on the res bottom, I'd rather do it via flies than "trolling" bait.
Plus, I wasn't rowing.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Re: (stoicbmx)

Quote, originally posted by stoicbmx »
I've been fishing my ass off this season...
Map of where i usually go (locally)
Red is usually on a boat/canoe
Green is off the shore/piers/docks..

what bait where you using? i bought some crap from berkly (tan nuggets in the yellow bag) for catfish and havent had 1 bite

But lately ive been using rage toad and 2 types of lizards to catch all my bass

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
sofa king awesome to see all the nice catfish and bass posted!

Here is my contribution, caught in a sand strip pit on a live minnow

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I've spent a couple lunch hours tying up flies for my summer's end surf odyessy, but a website I'm on has a stream side gathering for the trico hatch currently going, so I had to tie some of them.
I just found it amusing to go from 3/0 hooks to 20s:

That's a US gold dollar coin in there, for comparision:

A collection of salt water flies, and some tricos:

(Clockwise from top right, 3/0 Deceiver, #2 Merkin Crab, 3/0 Deceiver, 1/0 Clouser, 1/0 Clouser, center #20 Trico Spinners and #20 Al's Tricos)

Salt fly box, mostly complete. You can see the trikes down in the lower left. There's also some #2 bead chain buggers, and a collection of #6 Deceivers and Half-and-Halfs, so I can hopefully catch some croakers to use as bait for chunking out to sharks beyond the bar at night.
Need to add a few more #2 deceivers, and some half-and-halfs in the bigger hooks.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Newport, RI?
Newport, KY?
Newport, FL?
Newport, DE?
Newport, ME?
Newport News, VA?
There's alot of Newports, which one? Salt or fresh?
The stripers are still mostly up north, too warm down here for the big ones to come in.
Its getting late in the year for trout, but the rain has kept water levels up pretty high, at least in my back yard.

41 - 60 of 1763 Posts