VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, been having a stuttering problem that I've finally narrowed down to weak spark, spark is yellow, plugs are getting carbon deposits on them. Engine stutters on low throttle, but runs fine at high throttle, problem tends to go away towards high RPMs, and car will run fine if run at high RPM for any duration.
Tested coil, seems to be within spec, so I'm thinking it's either the distributor or the computer.
Are there any other reasons why the spark would be so weak? Oh, also did check the wires, and were definitely w/in tolerance.
I'm just hoping someone else has had a similar problem and can back me up somehow, thanks ahead of time!

·
Banned
1,055 Posts
Re: Weak spark problem (jazzbass240)

check the cap and rotor i have a brand new rotor at home from vw that i didnt need if you need it you can have it i am local the cap is like 20 bucks from vw.
quick_huh

·
Banned
1,055 Posts

no problem man i am just moving right now ill go home and look for it as soon as i get in ill email you later tonight or tomorrow am

·
Banned
1,055 Posts

yo man i didnt get a chance to look last ngiht i will tonight though
btw what type of 8v is it this rotor is out of a 95 2.0 i should have asked yesterday

Modified by quick_huh at 10:38 AM 2-18-2004

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OK, so got a chance to get outside and diagnose a little bit more, the spark is weak straight from the coil wire, so i'm not sure changing the rotor would help at all. I've no clue what's going on at this point. The coil tested within spec, so why is it weak from the wire? Oh, also checked resistance of the wire and it was actually a pretty clean path as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts