VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car out of storage this weekend and decided to weigh my wheels as long as I was swapping them. To my surprise, both the stock wheels & tires (15" wheels / Eagle GA tires) and my SSR Competitions (17" w/ Kumho 215/40/17 tires) weigh-in at 35 lbs. Granted, this isn't a scientific experiment, but my digital scale increments by 0.5 lbs, so the wheels must be pretty close in weight.
I thought my SSR's weighed 45 because that's what the packaging slip said from UPS when I got them... I guess they were just over-charging me!!!
Although I managed to keep my unsprung weight the same with my SSR's, they still "feel" heavier when driving because they accelerate and decelerate slower than the 15's.
Anyway, food-for-thought for those of you who are considering plus sizing but aren't sure about the weight. Chances are, if the wheels you are considering buying aren't super light, you're going to be adding quite a bit of unsprung weight to your suspension... if you live where there are bumpy roads (like here in Wisconsin), that does make a difference.
Sincerely,
Todd M. Taylor
President http://www.venommotorsports.com

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Re: Weighed my wheels: SSR Comp's vs. OEM (Blitzkrieg)

Are your wheels from a MK3 GTI or GLX?? (im assuming MK3 because you have GA's)
Im upgrading from the stock '96 Jetta GLX wheels to 16" SSR Integral's with SP9000's.
The SSR's weigh 16lbs per wheel. So im wondering what the weight of the stock wheelz are.
Hopefully ill notice a difference for the better.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Weighed my wheels: SSR Comp's vs. OEM (DownShift)

quote:[HR][/HR]Are your wheels from a MK3 GTI or GLX?? (im assuming MK3 because you have GA's)[HR][/HR]​
GTI VR6...

quote:[HR][/HR]The SSR's weigh 16lbs per wheel. So im wondering what the weight of the stock wheelz are.[HR][/HR]​
How wide are the wheels you are getting? I've been told the 17"x7.5" SSR's Competitions are ~14lbs per wheel.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts

16x7 wheels.
Im getting them from tirerack, and Eric told me 16lbs I believe, and this website says 15.5lbs.
The Comps list out at 14lbs here. http://www.wheelweights.net
Ill see when I get them on Tuesday.
BTW, I think the Comps are the phattest wheels, and your lucky to have them!
Too expensive for me
Maybe ill buy them used...in another life.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: Weighed my wheels: SSR Comp's vs. OEM (DownShift)

that's funny, I just weighed my ssr integral's with 205/45/16 tires versus my stock wheels with GA's and the result was 33.5lbs vs. 37lbs respectively. I think the comps are a few pounds lighter than the intgrals too. I suspect your wheels are wider than my 7" and you have larger than stock tires as well. That must all add up to your weight gain. Now if they just made the comp in a 16x7 for our cars I'd have to get them.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Some folks may not know this but Kumhos are pretty heavy tires. Yup, they are.
My brother bought a set of Ecsta 712's and while he had little to complain in the way they performed, he was not crazy about their weight. His 205/50/16 weighed 24 lbs - the tire alone!! As a comparison, my 205/50/16 Toyo Proxes T1S weighed in at 19 lbs. Both were weighed on the same scale prior to mounting hence full tread depth.
Also, my 16x7 SSR Integrals with the Toyos mounted weigh 34 lbs, (actually, the scale reads 33.5 lbs but I'll round up). Simple subtraction of the tire weight confirms SSR's claims that the wheel weighs 15 lbs.
He has since switched to Falken Azenis RS (215/45/16) and they weigh a little less but not by much.
The Kumhos are heavy tires. Also on the heavy-for-its-class-tire is the Kumho Victoracers ... sticky yes, lightweight no.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Weighed my wheels: SSR Comp's vs. OEM (nizam)

quote:[HR][/HR]Some folks may not know this but Kumhos are pretty heavy tires. Yup, they are.[HR][/HR]​
Kumho used to have their tire weights posted on their website, but now I can't find them to save my life... maybe they took that data down when people started saying their tires were heavy
I'd like to try Toyo's once my Kumho's are bald.
I can't really complain too much about the Kumho's... they were inexpensive, they are VERY quiet (compared to my old Pirellli P7000's), and they grip okay... other than the weight, the only thing I don't like is that they squeal like a little piggy when autocrossing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.