VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what all your corrados' weighed in at? Recently, at the track I weighed in my car and it came out to be 2406 with driver, so thats 2221 lbs with me out the car. Thats, one seat, 6 point cage, etc. Let me know, just trying to see if im in the right range or lighter than usual. Also, what does a corrado from the factory weigh in at?

Modified by vr6chris at 10:11 PM 7-21-2005

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Re: Weight thread (ubergolf98turbo)

My 1994 VR6 was 2,800 pounds on a scale that is certified to be within 20 lbs. This is a Canadian car with full load, leather, 1/2 tank of fuel, full sized spare, and no driver. A CCA mailing list G60 owner had about 2,750 lbs with full load, cloth, and a 1/2 tank of fuel. 2,200 lbs is really light, a stripped A2 Golf will roll in about 2,400 lbs stock and the A1 is about 2,100 - 2,200 stock.
Dennis

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Weight thread (vwboost)

Ok, car setup is vr6 turbo with air/water. 6 point chromoly cage. one fk race seat. dash, no knee bar, sheet metal insert. 4 lug, was a g60. spare tire well and trunk cut out, chromoly brackets welded in place for 5 gallon fuel cell. carbon fiber hood. lexan sunroof. braille lightweight battery. front door panels and full carpet up front.

Before carpet

Modified by vr6chris at 12:18 AM 7-22-2005

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Re: Weight thread (vr6chris)

Quote, originally posted by vr6chris »
Just wondering what all your corrados' weighed in at? Recently, at the track I weighed in my car and it came out to be 2406 with driver, so thats 2221 lbs with me out the car. Thats, one seat, 6 point cage, etc. Let me know, just trying to see if im in the right range or lighter than usual.

you're right on target. 2200-2300 lbs is about the norm for a gutted vr6 corrado with a cage. judging by the cage design i'm assuming that this is a drag car and not a road race car. i don't see a front hoop.

do you have any intentions of this car being street legal?
if not, get rid of the rebars in the bumpers and substitute them with aluminum L beams. use some dzus fastners to keep the bumper skin from flying away. get rid of those door cards and cut out as much metal out of the doors as you can. no need to keep the reinforcement bars either if you have a cage. you can also remove a good amount of metal under the rear quarter windows. and remove as much glass as the rules allow and replace with the thinnest lexan allowed. headlights, turn signals and fogs can go as well. you can save a lot of weight by dumping the exhaust straight down or out the side. no mufflers needed just wear earplugs. remove all the unused wirring and strip the sound absorbing wax off the floors. if you have the means, strip the rust preventing undercoating as well. get rid of the dashl. a bar with gauges works just fine. you can aslo save some weight by substituting the steering column with a tube (collapsable if need be). while you are at it, replace the rack with a manual one. then, run the smallest brakes you can. solid disks from a rabbit will work just fine if you're drag racing and they weigh far less than 11s. use aluminum calipers and aluminum shock bodies. get rid of sway bars, parking brake mechanisim and rear spoiler motor assy.
that should get you closer to 2150 dry without too much trouble or expense.
there is some more that can be done but it all depends on the rules and classifications.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Weight thread (lucmb94)

Quote, originally posted by lucmb94 »
sorry this is a little off topic but i noticed that your welds were painted on your rollbar... a few of my friends have done that too... what does it do?

well, as far as chromoly goes, it builds up a surface rust very easily. this just covers it up. chromoly in general also builds up a small amount of surface rust, so it would be best to paint the whole thing, but it really doesn't matter to me

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Weight thread (cvovp)

Quote, originally posted by cvovp »
you're right on target. 2200-2300 lbs is about the norm for a gutted vr6 corrado with a cage. judging by the cage design i'm assuming that this is a drag car and not a road race car. i don't see a front hoop.

do you have any intentions of this car being street legal?
if not, get rid of the rebars in the bumpers and substitute them with aluminum L beams. use some dzus fastners to keep the bumper skin from flying away. get rid of those door cards and cut out as much metal out of the doors as you can. no need to keep the reinforcement bars either if you have a cage. you can also remove a good amount of metal under the rear quarter windows. and remove as much glass as the rules allow and replace with the thinnest lexan allowed. headlights, turn signals and fogs can go as well. you can save a lot of weight by dumping the exhaust straight down or out the side. no mufflers needed just wear earplugs. remove all the unused wirring and strip the sound absorbing wax off the floors. if you have the means, strip the rust preventing undercoating as well. get rid of the dashl. a bar with gauges works just fine. you can aslo save some weight by substituting the steering column with a tube (collapsable if need be). while you are at it, replace the rack with a manual one. then, run the smallest brakes you can. solid disks from a rabbit will work just fine if you're drag racing and they weigh far less than 11s. use aluminum calipers and aluminum shock bodies. get rid of sway bars, parking brake mechanisim and rear spoiler motor assy.
that should get you closer to 2150 dry without too much trouble or expense.
there is some more that can be done but it all depends on the rules and classifications.

this is a drag race car only. not street legal. no, it does not have a front hoop, so far only a 6 point good up to 9.99 or 135 mph. plan on doing something with the rebars. as far as other things go, i need to keep it where i run a street like interior, which means door cards, carpet, etc. I will be doing some cutting though from the sheet metal on the inside of the car. running just a downpipe, so no exhaust. bare minimum pretty much, but i still have some other things to do, and possibly do a solid rear axle. if time and money permit. got some plans, maybe even switch to a 4 cyl motor, not soon. not a vw motor either

Modified by vr6chris at 2:39 AM 7-22-2005

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Weight thread (NellyVW81)

Quote, originally posted by NellyVW81 »
Stock weight the corrado is 2816lbs with a VR6.

i really dont know how i dropped 600 pounds, but ill take it. need to lose more too haha, if i can within weight limits on some of the classes im in

·
Banned
215 Posts
Re: Weight thread (Insane_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by Insane_VR6 »
My 1994 VR6 was 2,800 pounds on a scale that is certified to be within 20 lbs. This is a Canadian car with full load, leather, 1/2 tank of fuel, full sized spare, and no driver. A CCA mailing list G60 owner had about 2,750 lbs with full load, cloth, and a 1/2 tank of fuel. 2,200 lbs is really light, a stripped A2 Golf will roll in about 2,400 lbs stock and the A1 is about 2,100 - 2,200 stock.
Dennis

Stripped MK2 at 2400 pounds and a stripped rabbit at 2100?? You're joking right?
A Rabbit with decent weight savings (not fully stripped) can be brought to 1700-1800 pounds, and a MK2 can be made to weigh more like 2000 pounds (Stock weight on a 16v GTI was around 2250)

·
Banned
215 Posts
Re: Weight thread (NellyVW81)

Quote, originally posted by NellyVW81 »
Or you can just carbon fiber the whole body and that would save alot of
time, but make sure your ready to pay out of your a**.

Wouldn't really save you all that much for all that effort. Wanna make the corrado super light?
Get a rolling one without engine or interior and design a tube chassis for it and then drop the whole corrado body on it. lol
That would be fun.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Re: Weight thread (mk3blauvento)

Quote, originally posted by mk3blauvento »
Wanna make the corrado super light?
Get a rolling one without engine or interior and design a tube chassis for it and then drop the whole corrado body on it. lol

funny, i had a discussion about this while visiting a race shop the other day. wanna make a corrado 'super lite'? buy a rabbit and put a corrado emblem on it.

corrado race cars

·
Banned
215 Posts
Re: Weight thread (cvovp)

Quote, originally posted by cvovp »
funny, i had a discussion about this while visiting a race shop the other day. wanna make a corrado 'super lite'? buy a rabbit and put a corrado emblem on it.

corrado race cars

hahaha
Yeahm as far as autocross cars go there really isn't much that I'd rather have than a rabbit, aside from a MK1 Mini Cooper with a tube chassis and a VTEC or a mid engine VR6.
I dunno.... the Corrado is a fun car and it's got GREAT lines... but most people who are serious about racing know one thing: The lighter it is to start the lighter it will be in the end...
I'd even say to do a B6T Festiva like Cam at CSW. That thing would be SUPER fun at the track.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Re: Weight thread (mk3blauvento)

Bumping this up with my weight as I just found out this past weekend on a nice digital scale.
2790 with me in it (155 lbs) and no hood. Full interior VR6 without the rear seats and I cut the rear floor out and reinstalled a raised sheet metal floor. Not sure how much weight was saved with redoing the floor, or if any was saved... I did it so I could have the cell in there not for weight savings.
Also, I have no AC compressor and associated stuff. All the rest of the car's interior and body is still left stock...still have the sandbags in the floor. Also, i replaced the stock seats with corbeaus (14 lbs each)

Frankly, I am surprised my Corrado is as light as the scale said. On another note, my friend weighed his A2 GTi 16V turbo stripped race car and it was 2330 with him in it (300lbs). My brother weighed his B3 VR6 passat wagon...3150 with him in it (155 lbs).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.