VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently, the driver's side outer cv joint on my 81 rabbit started making noise. i usually just buy reman shafts, so i picked one up from a reputable local shop. i installed it tonight, but something is really wrong with it. the install itself went smooth, but when i put the car in neutral to turn the shaft for easy access to all of the bolts, it wouldn't turn at all. it's like it's all bound up.
when i turned the steering knuckle with the tie rod end popped out, instead of the outer joint just moving back and forth like it normally would, it turned the whole shaft forward or backward depending on which way i was turning the knuckle.
i know something isn't quite right, but what could it be? the shafts for westy rabbits are the same from 81 to 84, right? could i have gotten a funny length? is there some cross-pollenation from 80 to 81? is it just a junk axle?
any help is greatly appreciated. i gots to get this thing back on the road.
lucas.

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Re: weird cv shaft question (lucas)

I would completely remove it and make sure that it will move freely while off the car... Then compare your old one and your new one (hopefully you have not taken your core back... If so, get it back), and make sure they are the same... Off hand, I think there is only one length that is close...
Sometimes on shafts if they are really tight (when new, remanned), they can bind, but I have never had one bind on the car...
HTH
David

· Banned
10,022 Posts
Re: weird cv shaft question (fahrvegnugen)

And this Kiddies, is exactly why reman axles suck ass. They can come out of the box bad, they can have A2 joints on them making them not fit A1's, the boots tear in less than a year.
Step up to the plate, buy the German joints and boots, and fix your car right.

· Banned
10,022 Posts
Re: weird cv shaft question (lucas)

Mine was free, that doesnt mean I put crappy parts on it.
Take care of your car and it will take car of you. How much is your time worth to be constantly changing axles and running to the store for replacement every few months?

· Registered
5,167 Posts
Re: weird cv shaft question (Rabbit 16v)

Quote, originally posted by Rabbit 16v »
Step up to the plate, buy the German joints and boots, and fix your car right.

I usually just replace the outers. Have yet to experience a bad inner yet.

· Banned
10,022 Posts
Re: weird cv shaft question (fwdvw)

inners are kinda tricky. you can usually notice that they are about to break when you put the pedal to the floor and the car starts to vibrate. or they making clunking noise upon deceleration in gear.

· Registered
1,501 Posts
Re: weird cv shaft question (fahrvegnugen)

I've gone thru 3 reman pass. side axles this year from Checker. #2 was bad right from the start, in fact, worse than #1 which I removed because the outer boot tore after only 3 months of use. They keep giving me new ones so I just keep swapping. I can swap a pass. side axle in about 20 min now.

EMPI has new axles for about $100 per side. Next time I blow up one of these POS Checker ones I'm going to try theirs.
As for the binding, I know on some German built cars the hubs have a small ridge on the inside by the bearing which can bind up the axle when the axle nut is tightened. My car had this issue and I had to search to find an axle that had the correct end on it. I belive WackyWabbitRacer called these hubs "stringcutters". If worst comes to worst you can grind the lip off, but that might take a while. HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.