VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEIRD DRIVETRAIN SOUND WHEN COLD

So this is one of those things I can't get the dealer to acknowledge (in addition to the 2nd gear grind.)
When my car is COLD (I live in LA so its a winter only thing,) when I first start off in 1st and then shift to second, there is some sort of noise and/or vibration coming from either just below the transmission or up by the wheelwells (or both.) (can only be heard at about 4,000+ in 1st and 2nd) Is both a noise and a vibration.
At first I thought something was caught on the undercarriage and was being dragged, or that something was stuck in a wheel. But it only is audible for the first few seconds of a cold start out on a very cold LA day.
Dealer tried to hear it, they didn't.
Anybody else have any ideas?
Mark

·
25,147 Posts
Re: WEIRD DRIVETRAIN SOUND WHEN COLD (powermf)

a noise is normal when it is cold becuase the gear lube is more thicker (less viscous) and will transmit more noise. When it wamrs up it will thin out. Same thing with engine oil.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: WEIRD DRIVETRAIN SOUND WHEN COLD (rs4-380)

quote:[HR][/HR]When my car is COLD (I live in LA so its a winter only thing,) when I first start off in 1st and then shift to second, there is some sort of noise and/or vibration coming from either just below the transmission or up by the wheelwells (or both.) (can only be heard at about 4,000+ in 1st and 2nd) Is both a noise and a vibration.[HR][/HR]​
why would you be around 4000+ wehn the cars cold??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: WEIRD DRIVETRAIN SOUND WHEN COLD (Uncle Ben)

So I should always allow my car to warm up? Is that something you really need to do these days?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Re: WEIRD DRIVETRAIN SOUND WHEN COLD (powermf)

A warm up isn't necessary, but damn, keep it under 2500 til its fully warmed.
~D.J.~

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Re: WEIRD DRIVETRAIN SOUND WHEN COLD (berettaboi)

Normal. Just keep the revs down until it is warm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts