VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 1995 Cabrio

A couple months ago I pulled out my battery to put it on the trickle charger during my cabrio's winter hibernation in the garage.

But just not too long ago I put it in, to get things going again, but had some issues.

With the battery in, here is what happened:
alarm went off, and car locked (normal)
when key was turned, nothing would happen
all lights inside would flash
mileage and clock would read random numbers


anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,055 Posts
Put a meter on the dead center of the battery posts, note the voltage.

Now put the meter on the outside clamps, note the voltage. It should be the EXACT same voltage as step one.

If not, you have corrosion on the clamps/posts. Use a mixture of hot water and baking soda to clean them all off. Once cleaned and dry, apply some dielectric grease to the posts and you're set.:thumbup:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put a meter on the dead center of the battery posts, note the voltage.

Now put the meter on the outside clamps, note the voltage. It should be the EXACT same voltage as step one.

If not, you have corrosion on the clamps/posts. Use a mixture of hot water and baking soda to clean them all off. Once cleaned and dry, apply some dielectric grease to the posts and you're set.:thumbup:
But if it still doesn't work?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the reading from the battery was 11.8v and at the posts was the same. I went to start it, and it kinda turned over, but after it didn't start, my hazards came on, and it honked. and as soon as I put the key to the "on" position, my mileage goes wack.

any other ideas?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,055 Posts
So the reading from the battery was 11.8v...... I went to start it, and it kinda turned over,
Yes, I have an idea... your battery is dead. A charged battery will read around 12.3-12.5+ VDC. If your is below 12 Volts and you just charged it, then one of the cells may be damaged and not putting out full voltage. (this is the primary reason I never use trickle chargers. They just slowly cook a battery)
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top