VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i just bought a 2000 1.8TQM A4 last weekend. when shifting into 2nd, it makes a weird noise (almost like a phssst type noise). dealer said it was the blow off valve (i assume he meant the diverter valve) and said it was normal. i don't think that noise is normal....
the noise seems to be louder the higher the rpms, and it occasionaly makes it shifting out of 2nd as well. it sounds like it's coming from right underneath the shifter. it really sounds like air being blown off, but it just doesn't seem normal.
any opinions from poeople who maybe have driven their cars for more than 6 days?
thanks in advance! TOM

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: weird noise when shifting into/out of 2nd (GTiTOM)

just read a string in the 1.8T tech forum that VW trannies have a problem with 2nd gear going and getting crazy grinding shifts. is this a problem with A4 trannies as well. what tranny is in the '00 1.8TQM A4?
i took it for a ride last night and got a definite GRIND in 2nd gear....it was like i shifted without even putting the clutch in.
TOM

·
Banned
7,292 Posts

No, VW and Audi A4's have totally different tranni's.
Sounds like you have a bad 2nd gear synchro. Your car was probably abused by the previous owner.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: weird noise when shifting into/out of 2nd (TabulaRasa)

thanks for the info. i didn't really buy his BOV story. it's audi assured so it won't cost me any $$$, but i'd really like to get the problem taken care of before i start modding it and they try and blame it on me!
so this isn't really a huge problem in A4s like it is golfs/jettas?
thanks again!

·
Banned
7,292 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]so this isn't really a huge problem in A4s like it is golfs/jettas?[HR][/HR]​
The Golf/Jetta problem was due to poor design.
Your A4 problem is due to wear & tear and abuse.
The synchro ring is basically a pair of flat bearings that touch eachother before the actual gears mesh together. When the synchros touch, they transfer a little bit of power to help bring the gears up to speed. What problably happened in your car was somebody either didn't know how to drive stick or they drove it extremely hard and wore out the synchro rings. The rings themselves are pretty cheap. The problem is opening up the tranny to replace them! The transmission is a precision piece of equipment and it is likely that it would be cheaper to just get a new tranny in there than to tear open your existing one and risk having things screwed up during the rebuild process.
I'd ask for a new tranny.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: weird noise when shifting into/out of 2nd (TabulaRasa)

yeah, my new theory is that if that's what it is, then the dealership intentionally didn't "notice" it. that way, Audi has to pay for it. from my understanding, the dealer has to pay for any repairs to make it audi assured, and then audi pays for any repairs afterwards. maybe i'm being cynical, but it would make sense in a shady way.
when i bring it in on monday night, i'm definitely going to bring this up and make a stink about it. if they don't want to do something about it, i'm off to the other audi dealer and if that's what it is, i'll be making some angry phone calls!
hopefully though, it's just something quick and easy....
TOM

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

interesting.. my tranny doesn't make any noise, but occasionally it has a hard time shifting into 2nd.. resulting in a missed shift, and it embarrasses the hell outta me.. I assumed I was just an idiot.. maybe I'm not as bad as I thought
it started doing that around 18k... but at least it only does it once every couple weeks

·
Registered
72 Posts

shifting at high revs (6k+ rpm) from 1st-2nd used to elicit a grind in my car. cause? bad syncro.
dealer tossed in a new tranny, gear box, clutch and new rotors/pads all around... just because they love me so much.

new tranny for sure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts