VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I’m driving a stage 2+ Mk6 golf r. The car is running wonderful and is throwing no codes.
I have been experiencing a weird swooshing sound while hitting the accelerator, either very lightly or at WOT. It also occurs anytime I rev match. The sound comes and goes but recently I have been hearing it everytime I drive (only when the engine is at operating temperature) I am very familiar with turbo spooling noises and I love that sound.
But this sound have no idea what it could be. I thought it could be the wastegate actuator, but I could be wrong.

If you guys have any suggestions that would be great. I’ll upload a video of my car sounding normal and I’ll upload the video of the weird swooshing I am hearing.

Normal sounding video:
Mk6 golf r normal sound

Swooshing noise video
Weird Swooshing Noise mk6 Golf R

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Never heard that sound before. Almost sounds like an air leak. Can you replicate it when the car is standing still by reving the engine?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it happens for the first few revs if I were to come to a stop. But after a few revs the sound fades away and It’ll appear as I start driving again. It’s super odd

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had a failing noisy low pressure pump that had a high pitch noise like that upon acceleration. Its under you pssenger seat right side. Kinda sounds like tht to me. Can you hear on inside or just outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m going to try and take a video today with a friend revving the engine while I record from under the hood.
I should’ve been more descriptive. The sound does come from the right side of the engine bay while sitting in the car. The sound is super noticeable between 2000-3500rpms and sometimes sounds fluttery. I will upload a better video of the sound

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’m going to try and take a video today with a friend revving the engine while I record from under the hood.
I should’ve been more descriptive. The sound does come from the right side of the engine bay while sitting in the car. The sound is super noticeable between 2000-3500rpms and sometimes sounds fluttery. I will upload a better video of the sound
Hole in one of our turbo pipes? I'm guessing between the turbo outlet and the FMIC.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No power is lost, car still feels powerful and is boosting. My boost gauge seems to be normal as well.
Hole in one of our turbo pipes? I'm guessing between the turbo outlet and the FMIC.

Hmmm I will take a look. Thank you

·
Registered
198 Posts
No power is lost, car still feels powerful and is boosting. My boost gauge seems to be normal as well.

Hmmm I will take a look. Thank you
Could be minor enough not to be causing power loss but enough to be heard at high torque, usually 3k to 4.5k RPM rev range.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well right side is turbo so i guess somewhere in that area of boost pipes/turbo-intake piping/etc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is one more video while driving, its easier to hear. Weird Swooshing / Flutter when hitting throttle mk6 golf r

While at idle if i engage the e brake and remove my foot off the clutch and rev the sound is absent, but with the clutch engaged at idle the swooshing noise appears in sync with the revs.
I will upload a video from the engine bay when i get a moment

Thanks for everyones input btw!

·
Registered
832 Posts
You sure its not the pump behind you? Its hard to tell because it sounds like from the engine but mine sounded just like that. The pump whine corresponded directly to throttle input and fueling demand. Its an electrical/swooshing sound but its the fuel flowing through pump. Maybe lift the rear seat and see if its louder?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If you are hearing it at a stand still by just reving the engine, then it is not anything to do with boost piping. Unless you are maybe in a launch control state and building boost that way. The car should be in vacuum until it is under load.

Reactions: Thumper3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah no I’m not using any launch control. If I come to a stand still the sound is present for about one rev and then it goes away as the car is in neutral. If I engage the c and put it into first gear and rev, the sound appears slightly.

I have also noticed the sound matches my rpms as they are coming down too. It’s super weird :O

1 - 20 of 28 Posts