VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buying springs today, which should i get? going 60/60 + JOM lowering caps. please give good reasons.
the vogtlands are about $10-15 more

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Re: weitec vs. vogtland (A2GTI_8V)

i have the weitec 60/60 its alright...i shoulda saved up and bought some coils but its a good drop none the less.
never herad of vogtland

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Re: weitec vs. vogtland (mk2vdub)

Vogtland springs are made to the strictest German standards. ISO 9001 and TUV approved. They currently are supplying springs to all major Nascar Winston Cup race teams, and have recently captured over 90% of that market. They are a huge up and coming spring manufacturer.
Their springs will outlast Weitec springs easily.

·
Banned
26,608 Posts
Re: weitec vs. vogtland (MikekiM)

Quote, originally posted by MikekiM »
Their springs will outlast Weitec springs easily.

And please explain why they will outlast another spring?

I can understand why there are different levels of coilover/ cup kit quality, due to the variation of dampener components etc. But please give me good reasons why their springs will outlast
Spring rate and length of spring are the variables, as well as how they are coiled. These are reason some are stiffer, some are lower etc.
But trying to say they will outlast is absurd bud.
*edit. I clicked on your link. Now I see why you are trying bash on another company.

BTW I am a H&R supporter, so my preference, unlike yours, doesn't come into play.*

Modified by Salty D at 8:51 AM 7-15-2003

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Re: weitec vs. vogtland (Salty D)

SPrings are manufactured using a number of different techniques.
First is the coiling process. Most use a $1million dollar Wafios coiling machine.
Second is shotpeening for stress relief. Some manufacturers do this well, some don't, and some not at all, it's expensive.
Third is heat treating. Some do it properly, even heat treating in a nice long 40ft oven on a conveyor. Others do it bulk, batch heating in a big basket with a bunch of other springs tossed in.
Fourth is coil bind, setting the coils so all the coils touch. Some don't do it, some do it once, others do it several times. This sets the final free length, and prevents sagging.
Some manufacturers make springs the right way, some cut corners to cut costs. Vogtland, H&R, and Eibach use the best manufacturing processes available. Others, well, cut corners to save you a few bucks.
Do you even know who makes their own springs, and who doesn't?

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Re: weitec vs. vogtland (MikekiM)

I'm with Mike. He sold me his old GLI Neuspeed (H&R) springs some 7 years ago and he knows his stuff when it comes to suspension.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Re: weitec vs. vogtland (vwtoys)

I'd still rather ride high on a shine kit..
It's like theres no manfacturers using a linear rate spring.. they're all progressive.
I'd like a shorter shine-like spring like 1.25 in drop with a linear rate. And at a VERY STIFF rate as well.
Unfortunatly if I don't want 2-3 inches of squishy coils that cause my car to roll I have to sit at or above stock ride height unless I want to cut my springs..
Until one manufacturer offers me what I'm looking for I'll continue to say
NEXT!

Thanks for playing though..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts