VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a TTTuning exhaust, like most everyone else. I live in NYC, and was wondering if I should clamp it or get it welded. Someone had told me sometimes they get stolen so welding is better, and someone had also told me if I need to readjust the exhuast when I drop my car then clamping is better. Any opinions?

· Registered
6,087 Posts
Re: Weld or Clamp exhaust? (pluckynyc)

I wouldn't waste the money on welding. The hangers double as the clamps so welding as well seems a bit redundant. It'll be alot easier to switch mufflers or a pipe out later if you want as well.

About people stealing the exhaust, it'd be much much faster to steal the whole car then to try and take the exhaust off. I doubt anyone is gonna take the time to take just the exhaust.

· Registered
277 Posts
Re: Weld or Clamp exhaust? (pluckynyc)

it's not like welding is permanent, you can always replace it if need be. make sure to get it welded to be positive there are no leaks or any chance of the exhaust rattling loose. ive heard horror stories of people having their exhaust fall off the car due to the fact they werent welded on. i dont see why you wouldnt weld, a 100 dollar installation is much cheaper than having your exhaust fall off and have to get it replaced... just do it right the first time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
6,310 Posts
Re: Weld or Clamp exhaust? (PFA)

are you asking which is better? because if you are, i dont think ill get any argument by saying welding is better. now wether or not one will work vs the other, i dont know, because whats the point of clamping when you can have it welded for like $20, and be 110% sure its on well?

· Registered
978 Posts
Re: Weld or Clamp exhaust? (Dnuggs)

weldiing changes the chemical makeup of the metal, causing it to rust quicker. While you won't have to worry about leaks for a little while, it will rust slightly faster in a welded system than a clamped one.
6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.

· Registered
10,538 Posts
Re: Weld or Clamp exhaust? (DHill)

Quote, originally posted by DHill »
I've always heard that to do it correctly it should be welded.
why do they give you clamps then? ,ines clamped, and ts a lot better for adjusting it later. its not easy to get it perfect...i doubt some one will steal it, it looks stock...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.