VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trawling the web trying to find some advice on a welded front diff for road racing. I am building a Corrado 1.8T race car here in New Zealand, which will run an 02J box in it. It is a pure track car so road is not an issue for me.

If you could give me your honest opinions and if you have compared with a LSD? I have ran a plate in a car years ago and also a gear type unit in a Mk2 VR6. I would not go gear again but the price of a good plate is obviously up there, I will however pay the price if it is worth it over a welded, if that makes sense?

Any input is appreciated. But please don't say its bad without reasoning and/or experience.

Regards,
Barry

·
Registered
930 Posts
We went over this a little while ago. just check back a few pages. Short story is that welded is fastest. Breaks more stuff tho. The ramp/clutch style may be nears fast. The Quaife is pretty good.
For a track day car, go with a quaife or clutch style. For a racer with a few years of exp. and lots of highly developed cars in the class, go locked.
We have both. The locked needs power to turn in, the open needs an (ooch*) to turn in. entirely different styles are required to go fast. We run them at the same time, chasing each other . The open might be a little faster getting in, , but once the locked car is turned in and the power is down, it is gone.
Rain or damp, the locker is over the horizon.
I am building race axles to help with axle life for the locked cars. 400$pair.
MM
OOch= abrupt power off and back on, to rotate the car in..

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
What Mike said.

In my road racing circle of friends we have tried quaiffe/peloquin type, wave-trac type (with more aggressive friction material than std) and welded/spool. This includes several front row and podium cars in SCCA IT at the ARRC and HP/GP at the Runoffs.

Two decades ago we found that the quaiffe could be made to be as fast as a welded, if you set it up with so much pre-load that it self destructed in one race.

Last year we tried the wave-trac, hoping to reduce the amount of speed scrubbed off in The Kink at Road America. It was still slower than welded.

We have not found that it eats drive line parts faster to run welded. Just don't turn the car when in reverse, and don't use cheap aftermarket CVs.

The locker also provides a bit more flexibility in terms of line choice for a given corner....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts