VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I have tried to weld to the body/interior/frame, the welds have been really poor. I've had good grounds, super clean metal, and all that, but still the metal seems to either burn through or pop really bad.
I've tried many different settings and nothing seems to make the welding cleaner. I'll weld the same guage regular sheet, and no problems what so ever.
Is there something in the steel that sweats out to the surface when welded? If so, is there a way to help or eliminate this?
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Modified by Gridlocked at 2:10 PM 2-11-2004

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (Gridlocked)

Here's a stupid question... is your welder a 110v job? Do you have an extension cord on it? If you are using a normal cord, much of your current is gone. Even though your metal is basically clean, it's not as clean as it could be. More current can overcome that.

·
Banned
4,627 Posts

Make sure you are using the correct gas for your application
Also play around with the wire speed since that migh have something to do with it, but over all I think the guys above mightbe right, make sure you have a heavy duty extension cord if one at all
Quote, originally posted by Gridlocked »

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Try the FI forum, there are alot of welders there.
Also what is that container in the Qtr panel

Modified by QuickA2 at 3:46 PM 2-11-2004

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (vwgti1986)

Good tip... I spent half a day on a skate rail before I fugured out that the short little extension cord was what was killing my welds.

·
Banned
7,714 Posts
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (QuickA2)

ive experienced the same problems with vw steel, i just lowered my wire speed and took my time with the welds....it seemed to work out better,

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

Quote, originally posted by QuickA2 »
Also what is that container in the Qtr panel

Modified by QuickA2 at 3:46 PM 2-11-2004

Rear washer fluid reservoir??

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (Rusty Shackelford)

Quote, originally posted by Rusty Shackelford »
Good tip... I spent half a day on a skate rail before I fugured out that the short little extension cord was what was killing my welds.

Yup. I killed a lot of welds. Then I realized that if I had my welder plugged into the wall, my welds were much better.
If you need a cord, I suggest an RV extension cord. I picked up a 25ft cord at WalMart. It's got 10 gauge wire in it. No welding problems that aren't related to sh!tty metal or my cheap welder.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (brandon002)

Quote, originally posted by brandon002 »
Rear washer fluid reservoir??

In some parts of the world it's important. I don't know if it's needed on a rally car.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (vwgti1986)

I've been using a construction grade cord, but have a bigger one that goes to my radio. That's one of those 10 guage cords that you could never coil back up, even if you were Marion Cobretti. ha ha. Tunes are importiant. I did slow down the wire speed and also lowered the voltage and went slower. It did help, but still was not as clean as new sheet. Is there some kind of alloy or something that makes up the oem metal?
I'll switch the cords and see what i got.
WHADDA-WE-GOT?!?!!!

Modified by Gridlocked at 3:32 PM 2-11-2004

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

I've been using a construction grade cord, but have a bigger one that goes to my radio. That's one of those 10 guage cords that you could never coil back up, even if you were Marion Cobretti. ha ha. Tunes are importiant. I did slow down the wire speed and also lowered the voltage and went slower. It did help, but still was not as clean as new sheet. Is there some kind of alloy or something that makes up the oem metal?
I'll switch the cords and see what i got.
WHADDA-WE-GOT?!?!!!

Use that 10gauge. I'd bet that "construction grade" cord isn't any heavier than 14 gauge. Can loose a lot of current in 14 gauge.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Are you only having trouble where it's a double skin or all of it?
There's nothing in VW metal that makes it different to weld.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (Vdubs)

Well, I was back at it last night, and got 'er down. (with my thickest Minnesota accent) ha.
I switched the cords, and messed with the wire speed and "V" setting (whateaver that means
). The first time, I had the mask on and turned the wire speed way up (5 1/2) and the voltage down (to 3). I thought I was turning the voltage up and the speed down. That worked like a damn! I layed down a bead of weld that was as smooth as snot.
Who knows, maybe it was just the cord. Either way, I was still rocking out to Dr. Dre's classic "Cronic" album and starting small fires.
yay!

Modified by Gridlocked at 9:00 AM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
6,938 Posts

Either way, I was still rocking out to Dr. Dre's classic "Cronic" album and starting small fires.
yay!

best album EVAR

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (nickinboston)

Wut gas, rod, and type of rods are you using? This play's a big factor when welding. I was a welder by trade before i went into business of my own. Wut welder do you have BTW?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Welding to the OEM Metal question. (I Wuz BottlFedG60)

Millermatic 150 (I'm pretty sure) It does a good job and is super easy to use. Simple 110 wire feeder. I don't know what thickness wire I am using, my buddy bought it and I have not taken the time to check.
I'm a fairly experienced welder, but have been having issues connecting well to the body Vw's until last night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts