VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, that 633 on Ebay. I had high bid at $202.51!

Don't know yet how rusty it is in total, but I know all the places they normally rust. It's just going to be a play-toy project, and originality is not an issue. It has the Euro bumpers, which I like, so I'll probably combine that with an M6 style air dam and rear lip spoiler.

It seems to have a Ford I6 engine out of like an old Granada or Fairmont. Now I like engine swaps, but they usually have to make some sort of sense, and that's a swap that really doen't make a lot of sense. I can just imagine someone going into sticker shock finding out how much it would be to repair the common head cracking problem on the early 6'ers, and just stuffig the engine from the family station wagon in it instead...

The stock engine weighed about 500 lbs, so a small block would not change anything (and might even improve balance, due to more rearward setback), but I don't think I want to go so common...
And trying to get a BMW engine and all the fuel injection back in there simply isn't worth it in a $200 car... So I may be following the concept that I was going to use on the Jag...
Now, I have to go over to eastern MD and pick it up (it's only about an hour and a hlaf from me...)

·
Registered
19,071 Posts
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (Chris V)

Good find. For $200, you got a good base to work from! I am curious to see what kind of swap you are planning...

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

pretty cool find...where on the shore is it? I love finding rare and cheap cars. That's how I ended up with my $50 Rabbit!!!
mikey

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,113 Posts
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (Double-V)

Wow. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I think (if I remember right) that those 630CSi's (what the badge on the trunklid says) had the evil thermal reactors - no surprise the motor is kaput. But a Ford V6?!?
Tom

Modified by mutcth at 9:00 AM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
29,995 Posts

Hey Chris, when you go to pick it up make sure the wheels are on tight
Muahahahahahahaa

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (Silly_me)

Quote, originally posted by Silly_me »
Hey Chris, when you go to pick it up make sure the wheels are on tight
Muahahahahahahaa

Hahahahahaha!! No sh!t!
Right now I'm just concerned that the tires hold air...
The car is in Preston, MD, which is about halfway from Annapolis to Ocean City. So it won't be as long a trip as the one from Charlotte, NC with that parts Fiat..

As for the planned powerplant, lets just say it has a Ford oval, but it's not a 5 liter... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Before I can work on the BMW though, I have to get the Jag situation squared away, and paint the Fiat. That car has turned into a very reliable driver for not a lot of money. The Jag.. ugh. When I'm driving it, I love it. When I'm working on it, or contemplating the work yet to do, OTOH... I'm concerned about rust in the structural areas. It looked pretty good for a while, but it needs a lot of help, both in the body and in the undercarriage, which is going to require a near total disassembly to fix. While I can do the work, I don't think I want to take the time to do it, you know?

·
Registered
502 Posts

Congratulations. Always fun to start a new project. It's crucial to really be into the project in order to finish it. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts

You could easily build a junkyard small block chevy or small block mopar with ~ 400 horsepower for not much cash.
Not sure about the swapability into a BMW.
have fun.
fat biker

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

cool!!!
heh, it all started as a joke, but i'm glad to see someone got one of these cars because for that price it's hard to pass up!
heh, you owe me one

j/k

have fun with it!
obin

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (fat biker)

SBCs will drop right in, and one of the options was to build up a 383 SBC (350 w/400 crank) as a torque monster. Could be a relatively cheap way to go, and I'm sure a later Camaro 6 speed will bolt up easily (but those are pricy anyway..). And price would keep me out of a new engine of any sort. But I could duplicate the drivetrain in a few other cars I've worked on, namely the 600 hp 466 (.030 over) Ford big block... I'd just have to set the engine back about 4 inches to retain the balance (or spend the extra grand and use the aftermarket aluminum heads...). I just wonder how the BMW rear would hold up to all that torque...

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (Obin Robinson)

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »
cool!!!
heh, it all started as a joke, but i'm glad to see someone got one of these cars because for that price it's hard to pass up!
heh, you owe me one

j/k

have fun with it!
obin

You need to find a way to come down and help play with it...

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,113 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Chris V »
As for the planned powerplant, lets just say it has a Ford oval, but it's not a 5 liter... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I say 4.6 modular V8 out of a Lincoln MkVIII - almost as much power as the M6....
Tom

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

You need to find a way to come down and help play with it...

that's easier to pawn off on the wife if there is a race track near you. what's the closest one?

obin

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (DriveMach_1)

Quote, originally posted by DriveMach_1 »
Obin,
How about a GRM 2004 challenge car?

i am not ruling it out. technically my GTI is still under budget (i've only spent $1400 on the car since i got it and that includes purchase price
)
obin

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (mutcth)

Quote, originally posted by mutcth »

I say 4.6 modular V8 out of a Lincoln MkVIII - almost as much power as the M6....
Tom

Interestingly enough, I found one near me for $500 running with trans, needing to be pulled from the wrecked Lincoln... But they are physically as large and as heavy as the 460...

·
Banned
9,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (Obin Robinson)

Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

that's easier to pawn off on the wife if there is a race track near you. what's the closest one?

obin

Probably Virginia International would be the closest.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

Probably Virginia International would be the closest.

VIR?
let me see if Jess wants to go to this:
http://www.grandamerican.com/events/event52.html
probably a quicker drive than to Mont Tremblant!
obin

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Re: Well, it seems I own a BMW! (DriveMach_1)

what about a supercharged blue oval out of an early '90s T-Bird SC...it'll fit right in and the SC is a nice touch!!!
Mikey

1 - 20 of 73 Posts