VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know another cam question, but here me out....
I called TT and asked them if they had a cam that I could use that will provide gains and be ok for FI later. I also told him I didnt want to change the stock valve springs. Anyway he told me the 266 is what I was looking for, But he said they were not going to get them until spring. In the spring is when Im getting my turbo kit.
I have the money now! and I want a cam, what other options can I go with??

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (VW97Jetta)

That's strange that TT recommended the 266 with FI...that's too aggressive...if I go FI I plan on getting the 268/260 or just the 260...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (sdisme)

if you want a cam now and its gonna be a while before you get forced induction, go with the tt 266, its about $130, its pretty reasonably priced....plus springs and retainers, which you should do....then down the road when you get forced induction, sell that tt266, and get something with less duration, or even put your stock cam back in.
You aren't going to find a cam with big gains N/A that is going to also produce good numbers for FI.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (Palilla)

You can contact TRM Performance (www.trmperformance.com) and ask him about a Eurospec 262 cam. That is what is in my car, and I have future plans of possibly going FI.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am going to run an autotech 260 FI cam NA until I get my supercharger, the cam is so cheap and even if it gets me like 1 or 2whp thats still more then I had and its not like the cam won't be helpfull when I instal the SC.
but my concern is will running an FI cam on an NA car hurt the engine? NA cams normaly have a large amount of valve overlap, whereas FI cams don't... will the lack of overlap, which reduces cylender pressure, make it hard for the incoming air/fuel to come into the cylender and there make the car run lean or result in LOST power??

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (sdisme)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, maybe he did say 260, that would make more sense anyway. Maybe, I just heard him wrong.
How you like that eurospec 262??
[HR][/HR]​
It is a great cam. I am running it with the stock cam gear right now, and am very happy with the powerband.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (Quickling)

quote:[HR][/HR]I am going to run an autotech 260 FI cam NA until I get my supercharger, the cam is so cheap and even if it gets me like 1 or 2whp thats still more then I had and its not like the cam won't be helpfull when I instal the SC.
but my concern is will running an FI cam on an NA car hurt the engine? NA cams normaly have a large amount of valve overlap, whereas FI cams don't... will the lack of overlap, which reduces cylender pressure, make it hard for the incoming air/fuel to come into the cylender and there make the car run lean or result in LOST power??
[HR][/HR]​
Well...the 260 isn't a "Forced Induction" cam, it's just a very mild cam with a mild duration and lift...won't cause you any damage or anything you just won't see too much gain from it that's all...if it's cheap then go for it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (cptnsloni)

quote:[HR][/HR]agreed...a 266 is way to agressive for FIfrom tt it would prob be a 254 or soemthing...check again[HR][/HR]​
So what testing have you guys doen to determine that the TT 266 is no good for FI?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (VW97Jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR]Just wait - I know you have the urge to buy now, but you'll be better off in the longrun by being patient.....[HR][/HR]​
Best advice I've heard all day http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (ILLZ)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well...the 260 isn't a "Forced Induction" cam, it's just a very mild cam with a mild duration and lift...won't cause you any damage or anything you just won't see too much gain from it that's all...if it's cheap then go for it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
The Autotech 260 cam was designed for the G60 engine, you know the supercharged engine. So yes, the Autotech 260 is a forced induction cam, but it will work in a NA application.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (AllMotor8v)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well...the 260 isn't a "Forced Induction" cam, it's just a very mild cam with a mild duration and lift...won't cause you any damage or anything you just won't see too much gain from it that's all...if it's cheap then go for it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The Autotech 260 cam was designed for the G60 engine, you know the supercharged engine. So yes, the Autotech 260 is a forced induction cam, but it will work in a NA application.[HR][/HR]​
Well...yes I suppose!

We're kind of saying the same thing http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (MikeBlaze)

quote:[HR][/HR]agreed...a 266 is way to agressive for FIfrom tt it would prob be a 254 or soemthing...check again
So what testing have you guys doen to determine that the TT 266 is no good for FI?[HR][/HR]​
Well actually none...but it's pretty common knowledge that an aggressive cam is a no-no with FI...266 is higher than I've ever seen anybody use with a FI application...so I guess I'm basing it on that and the fact that all cam manufacturers I've been in contact with (TT, Autotech, Schrick, Neuspeed) have recommended either the 256, 260, or 268/260...so I'm assuming the 266 is a no go

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (ILLZ)

It isn't the duration that determines overlap, it is lobe seperation. There are big FI cams.

He did say TT told him 266 was good for boost.
Let me see if I can dig up a post for you that explains it a bit better...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: Well what are my options? (MikeBlaze)

hows does one determine lobe seperation? Was is a high overlap number and what is not?
basicly I am trying to find the most powerful cam possible I can use NA until I get the SC in a few months

what causes the lumpy idle?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts