VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every 16v car I've seen was stick. With the exception of the B3 16v Passat, I don't think the GLIs or GTI 16vs ever came with auto right? If it did, what a waste of a good motor...

·
Banned
483 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (negativl)

yes they were... the 16V 2.0L Passat - my neighbor has one, a wagon with an automatic

I think you're question was more towards Jetta GLI's and GTIs... and there the answer is NO. (that's what I've heard at the dealer).
Maybe that's where VW lost some potential customers to Honduh and the other rice crowd, but... I sure don't miss 'em! In my opinion, A/T and spirited drivers dont mix... I actually can guess with over 90% accuracy when talking to someone whether they drive a stick or an automatic; and in my single days, if a girl could not drive a stick that was an almost automatic turn-off

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (negativl)

quote:[HR][/HR]They certainly never SHOULD have come with AT. Someone club the dingus who even tried to order one

That means I'm not sure either.
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (155VERT83)

I'm fairly certine that I have heard of an auto 16V G/J. RARE but definatly possible. You know how things went in Wolfsburg, the varitions in our cars are a direct corralation to what kind and how much CRACK they were smoking, in the drawing rooms and on the factory floor.
People have and still tell me that my car didnt exesist. (8v GLi, no sunroof, leather, AUTO). So I fixed it and gave it 2 more speeds and an extra pedal.

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (Ted)

they never came to the US with an auto

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (16v)

i don't think vw offered the vr6 with an auto for a while either. my girl friend just bought a honda accord. she wanted a v6, but they only come in auto
. so she got there 4 cylinder so she could have a manual. i love my girlfriend she has the right prioties, i just need to convert her to the goodside

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (Trav)

When they replaced the tranny in my beater they used an auto from a GLI I'll have to go check and see if it was 16V or not. (I really need to get the time to do the swap. The auto shifter does not take well to hard shifting. I have snap the shifter off it's base twice.)

·
Registered
25,454 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (clickhappy)

quote:[HR][/HR]the auto trannys in 16v Passats are JUNK[HR][/HR]​
Amen. Don't get my brother started on the nightmare he went through...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (DonL)

quote:[HR][/HR]the auto trannys in 16v Passats are JUNK
Amen. Don't get my brother started on the nightmare he went through...
[HR][/HR]​
Only if he doesn't mind to tell the story.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Re: Were 16v cars ever available with Auto tranny? (vw_pilot)

quote:[HR][/HR] if a girl could not drive a stick that was an almost automatic turn-off
[HR][/HR]​
not sure about a turn-off, but it's definately a turn-on if they can drive stick!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts