VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started with run of the mill motion sensing flood lights that would turn on at night when we pulled into the drive way.

Next came a series of upgrades to smart lights (Phillips HUE... awesome system especially for older homes that can’t use WiFi wall switches), inside and out that turn on lights from sunset to sunrise so we never come home to a dark house.

Adding motion sensors and tweaking the routines, the driveway lights go from accent lights to full bright and back again when we get home. Walking into the garage, lights come on automatically.

Then the WiFi enabled garage door openers were added (Liftmaster) and the phone app proved hella useful.... Did the boy leave the garage door open again? We can check history to see when he comes home at night ;) We can open the door remotely if someone forgets a key.

This weekend the MyQ Home Bridge was added and we have Apple HomeKit integration. Now I can say “Hey, Siri! Get in the kitchen and bake me a pie. Oh, and tell me if the garage doors are open.”

Anyone else having fun with (and enjoying the functionality of) automating their garage? What systems are you using?

#AMA anything about HUE or MyQ.

·
Registered
34,260 Posts
Absolutely nothing is automated in my garages. You even have to open the doors by hand.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It started with run of the mill motion sensing flood lights that would turn on at night when we pulled into the drive way.

Next came a series of upgrades to smart lights (Phillips HUE... awesome system especially for older homes that can’t use WiFi wall switches), inside and out that turn on lights from sunset to sunrise so we never come home to a dark house.

Adding motion sensors and tweaking the routines, the driveway lights go from accent lights to full bright and back again when we get home. Walking into the garage, lights come on automatically.

Then the WiFi enabled garage door openers were added (Liftmaster) and the phone app proved hella useful.... Did the boy leave the garage door open again? We can check history to see when he comes home at night ;) We can open the door remotely if someone forgets a key.

This weekend the MyQ Home Bridge was added and we have Apple HomeKit integration. Now I can say “Hey, Siri! Get in the kitchen and bake me a pie. Oh, and tell me if the garage doors are open.”

Anyone else having fun with (and enjoying the functionality of) automating their garage? What systems are you using?

I never really thought about home automation in the garage. I have been planning on adding a range extender out there for Wifi, and have considered adding on a wifi-enabled opener to my existing Craftsman opener, like the Chamberlain myQ BUT...

I'm very very keen on privacy and IoT devices really bother me. I'm not so much into connected devices as I am true automation, so eventually if I go full ass on it, I'll run openHAB on my local server and configure things to truly automate based on events/triggers/time/etc. I have a handful of PoE and WiFi enabled cameras in-home that are managed by a piece of software called BlueIris that runs on my server. Everything is stored locally/accessed locally via my own hardware. I have a similar setup with OTA antenna TV, a HDHomeRun Quatro and PLEX media server. I also run (on a VM) PiHole to block ads/advertising companies/cookies/etc from certain sources. Last but not least, the Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX handles the routing part of the network. With VLANs, I can segregate certain devices onto separate LAN's and keep everything tidy and secure. It's worth it to be self-reliant and have everything local.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

I have the MyQ and it is pretty nifty..I just wished it worked with Apple CarPlay. I am now looking into HomeKit options for sprinklery systemes, heating and upgrading the security system.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
wish I had a garage. Have a shed for all my tools, jacks, miscellaneous parts and other stuff like lawn mowers, but not a garage for the car. Wish I had one though :/

·
Registered
604 Posts
My 1957 Delta Drill Press and my 1962 Craftsman Bandsaw. When you plug them in, they're automatically on.

No but seriously the only thing I have automated is I put a motion sensing light switch right near where you walk in, and it was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY. It's so awesome be carrying something and have the lights turn on.

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
For me....
Hey Google, turn on/off garage light.
Hey Google, turn on car charger (plugged to a smart plug)

·
Registered
14,989 Posts
- Alarm hood pins on bay doors, run to led ceiling lights which come on/off going in and out.

- Alarm hood pins on drop down attic door, as you pull down the ladder the attic lights up, turns off once put the ladder back up.

- Apple mag safe auto charging system, trips on when volts drop.

- Just built a swamp cooler 2hrs ago for a attic (~160F+)...so hot I could barely pull out the metal bare handed (steel and aluminum) to store into a ground shed. Will use a temp trip to activate it...yet as it's looking it'll probably never auto shut down still ~Sept.

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
my garage door opener, i can open it with my phone and I love it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
Less for the garage, but related to a1german, I got a raspberry pi and a few ds18b20 temp sensors, stuck it in the attic, and watched the temps go from 150s to 130s with a 20 inch fan.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
I never really thought about home automation in the garage. I have been planning on adding a range extender out there for Wifi, and have considered adding on a wifi-enabled opener to my existing Craftsman opener, like the Chamberlain myQ BUT...

I'm very very keen on privacy and IoT devices really bother me. I'm not so much into connected devices as I am true automation, so eventually if I go full ass on it, I'll run openHAB on my local server and configure things to truly automate based on events/triggers/time/etc. I have a handful of PoE and WiFi enabled cameras in-home that are managed by a piece of software called BlueIris that runs on my server. Everything is stored locally/accessed locally via my own hardware. I have a similar setup with OTA antenna TV, a HDHomeRun Quatro and PLEX media server. I also run (on a VM) PiHole to block ads/advertising companies/cookies/etc from certain sources. Last but not least, the Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX handles the routing part of the network. With VLANs, I can segregate certain devices onto separate LAN's and keep everything tidy and secure. It's worth it to be self-reliant and have everything local.
Oooo. I haven’t had a chance to look into home brew automation systems....

Now I just need to find the time to build out my home server. And the proper case... I don’t think my wife will be happy with a 36U rack with a 4U server in it adding a ton of dB to our current living space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I’m actually quite proud of a couple things.

Certainly the auto meter elite boost gauge hooked up to my pool pump output. Right now it’s just facing my back door, but if I ever upgrade my garage door system I have plans to hook it up to my Arlo maker so it will notify me on my phone if the pump shuts down.

I have two Arlo Makers installed with magnetic switches on the garage doors.

And I have a Rachio sprinkler setup with an additional zone to fill my pool, so J can ask Alexa to Gil my pool.

I have a huge Frigidaire A/C unit with WiFi control.

F privacy when this stuff makes my life so easy. And my phone is listening to everything anyways???

·
Registered
26,129 Posts
I have 'dumb' occupancy/motion sensors for the main lighting.
This is the only thing "automated" in that it will do something without touching a thing.

I also have zwave tilt sensors on the garage doors, that tie into smartthings to text me when the door opens and closes. Have an ST reminder if a door is open left open for 45 minutes, and then again if it hits 830pm and the door remains open. Not really automated, but providing status and monitoring. At some point I will work on setting up zwave/zigbee switch/relay to be able to close the doors through ST. Dont know that I will worry about any specific open/close automations though.

·
Registered
44,070 Posts
I have this neat thing built into my air compressor that shuts it off when it’s at capacity and then kicks it on when it starts to get low again. It’s like having a robot butler for your compressor!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
On topic: Garage door buddy for the openers.

Off topic: The solid state relay and thermocouple interface for my home made text messaging electric smoker sit in the garage, that is 'automated' with closed loop temp control and various faults / alarms.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts