VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving home and noticed this weird license plate. What the hell is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,224 Posts
It's a German license plate with temporary USA authorization for use in the USA. It's for an armed forces member.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
IIRC, they are allowed to use them in the US when traveling to their next base they are stationed at.

Back when my dad was stationed in Germany, the plates looked like this :

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Yeah, I don't get why they don't let you just keep the German plates to use like you do everywhere else. That blue sticker is the only thing that really matters and tells you how long it's good for. Just slap that on your German plate and you don't have to worry about switching everything out.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
33,230 Posts
It's an export plate for a PCSing service member, DOD civilian or contractor coming out of Germany.

For OPSEC reasons they get normal German format plates while stationed there. So if they're in Kaiserslautern it's KL, Wiesbaden is WI; Spangdahlem is SP, etc. Embassy and consulate staff get special German plates, either diplomatic or official depending on their position. They're formatted differently.

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
8,717 Posts
It's an export plate for a PCSing service member, DOD civilian or contractor coming out of Germany.

For OPSEC reasons they get normal German format plates while stationed there. So if they're in Kaiserslautern it's KL, Wiesbaden is WI; Spangdahlem is SP, etc. Embassy and consulate staff get special German plates, either diplomatic or official depending on their position. They're formatted differently.
Yup--FWIW, 'FG' should be Freiberg in Saxony.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.