VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how this is playing out nationally, but here in CT there has been a recent surge of wrong way driver incidents. A recent one killed a prominent politician who had just attended the inaugural ball.

Just last night:

· Registered
756 Posts
Experienced one for the first time about 2 months ago here in Houston. I was heading in to work on an early Sunday morning. Other driver was clearly still on Saturday night time. I always stay in the right lane when driving at those types of hours.

· Registered
2,649 Posts
I dunno, but I wish they would stop. I don't think it has anything to do with covid or medical. Perhaps a lot of suicidal a holes looking for the promised land (meanwhile, they don't get a scratch but take out a whole batch)

· Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,645 Posts
My wife and I followed someone yesterday who got to a roundabout and took a left. Blew my mind that someone seemingly sober could do such a thing.

• Wow
Reactions: PLF8593 and Where2

· Registered
3,372 Posts
Covid?
People forgetting whatever miniscule skills they had during lockdowns/work from home?
Aging boomers who can do no wrong and are always right, who just aren't happy enough driving 20 under the limit?

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Not sure how this is playing out nationally, but here in CT there has been a recent surge of wrong way driver incidents. A recent one killed a prominent politician who had just attended the inaugural ball.

Just last night:

GT:

I'm gonna go with stupid + illiterate. Or weed + alcohol. 700 people died on NJ roads last year. It's pathetic and ridiculous! There was a bad wrong-way crash in Cally yesterday. 3 people killed.

· Registered
459 Posts
We had a rash of that here in San Antonio about a decade or more ago. They put flashing wrong way signs on highway exits to try and grab attention. It’s kind of worked.

It feels like people are just more inattentive these days. There’s also the drunks, suicidal, and just plan senile.

· Registered
2,714 Posts
My wife and I followed someone yesterday who got to a roundabout and took a left. Blew my mind that someone seemingly sober could do such a thing.
Ponder this: he votes.

· Registered
2022 GTI S
420 Posts
It’s always been a thing unfortunately. Drunk driving and bad/confusing highway design. Knew a girl killed by a wrong way drunk driver on Rt 8 back in high school (also in CT). Terrifying. Glad I’m rarely out late anymore driving as that’s when it seems to happen most.

· Registered
38,057 Posts
I noticed the same thing too lately Everyone driving the wrong way on the highway. Pretty annoying. They honk a lot too.

• Haha
Reactions: adam1991

· Registered
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As of July 1, 2021, possession and use of up to 1.5 oz of cannabis is fully legal. There’s your sign. CT legalized weed and now more people are driving stoned.
Disagree. People have been driving stoned/drunk for decades. Wrong way accidents have just been the trend and just trying to make sense of it.

· Registered
2021 Jetta SE
159 Posts
Disagree. People have been driving stoned/drunk for decades. Wrong way accidents have just been the trend and just trying to make sense of it.
The amount of weed smoked, eaten, or vaped has probably gone up by a factor of five in the past decade. On a recent visit to NYC, I concluded that more pounds of cannabis were being smoked than tobacco.

Frankly, it's the major thing that has changed and the first cause that should be considered.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts