VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Registered
650 Posts
Disagree. People have been driving stoned/drunk for decades. Wrong way accidents have just been the trend and just trying to make sense of it.
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, cannabis usage goes up after legalization.

Anecdotally, I rarely used to smell the stuff when I was driving on the highway. Now it’s commonplace.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, cannabis usage goes up after legalization.

Anecdotally, I rarely used to smell the stuff when I was driving on the highway. Now it’s commonplace.
okay, cannabis usage goes up after legalization.

does it say wrong-way-driving goes up at similar rates in conjunction? Are they finding elevated THC levels in wrong way drivers blood? If not, your point has no bearing on this conversation. It just sounds like someone who doesn’t smoke weed and doesnt understand the effects it has making a wild claim.

· Registered
2013 Taco / 2006 R53
2,409 Posts
My take: Critical thinking has completely gone out the window. When the GPS can't tell them how to drive, they improvise... poorly.

Reactions: PLF8593

· Registered
2,143 Posts
The majority of wrong way drivers are intoxicated. As you might imagine, this is by and large the most common cause of wrong way accidents. A meta-analysis by the NTSB found that more than half and as many as three quarters of wrong way accidents are the fault of a drunk driver.

· Registered
38,056 Posts
A meta-analysis by the NTSB found that more than half and as many as three quarters of wrong way accidents are the fault of a drunk driver.
We should teach drunk drivers the correct way to enter the highway.

Reactions: PLF8593

· Registered
2,285 Posts
Is it possible that the only uptick are people with camera phones capturing all the stupid crap we never saw before?
nope. the uptick is real

WASHINGTON, D.C. (March 23, 2021) Fatal wrong-way driving crashes on our nation’s highways are a persistent and devastating threat that is only getting worse. According to the latest data analysis from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, there were 2,008 deaths from wrong-way driving crashes on divided highways between 2015 and 2018, an average of approximately 500 deaths a year. That is up 34% from the 375 deaths annually from 2010 to 2014. Researchers found that the odds of being a wrong-way driver increased with alcohol-impairment, older age, and driving without a passenger.

· Registered
2018 GTI Autobahn
116 Posts
I remember it happening in waves when I lived in Phoenix years back. I always wondered what caused the pattern. Road construction causing traffic pattern confusion maybe? I never looked into it enough back then to be sure.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
The majority of wrong way drivers are intoxicated. As you might imagine, this is by and large the most common cause of wrong way accidents. A meta-analysis by the NTSB found that more than half and as many as three quarters of wrong way accidents are the fault of a drunk driver.
So now the question is, are there more intoxicated drivers on the roads than before?

Or maybe is there less law enforcement attention on the roads, leading to the same number of intoxicated drivers being caught less frequently and/or driving more miles before they're caught?

· Registered
2,285 Posts
above.

eh... that's not a question anyone can answer. And it seems irrelevant. The main thing is wrong way driving incident are increasing.

Wrong-way collisions occur most often at night, on the weekends, and in lanes closest to a median. More than 60 percent of wrong-way collisions are drunk driving accidents. There is not yet enough data to determine how often drugs are involved in wrong-way crashes, whether legal or illegal.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
One solution has already been implemented in hopes of preventing wrong-way drivers by using thermal cameras on Interstate 17 that detect and warn wrong-way drivers with flashing red lights. Since the system was installed in early 2018 it has detected over 90 wrong-way drivers and earned a National Roadway Safety Award in 2019. Vasquez has said increased signage, systems, and requiring ignition interlock devices for those convicted of driving under the influence has helped reduce wrong-way collisions.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
eh... that's not a question anyone can answer. And it seems irrelevant. The main thing is wrong way driving incident are increasing.
hardly irrelevant. If you know what caused the uptick, then you know what you need to do to reverse the uptick at the very least.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts