VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

· Registered
4,273 Posts

· Registered
2,819 Posts
Alcohol and driving.. a terrible mix of impairment and reduced reactions on the part of the drunk driver. The drunks keep driving regardless of whether they get stopped once or a bunch

· Registered
2,707 Posts
Alcohol and driving.. a terrible mix of impairment and reduced reactions on the part of the drunk driver. The drunks keep driving regardless of whether they get stopped once or a bunch

15 years from now: outrage as Jimmy gets fired from his Amazon shift because the interlock in his hooptie broke and thought he was drunk and wouldn't let the car run.

· Registered
650 Posts
okay, cannabis usage goes up after legalization.

does it say wrong-way-driving goes up at similar rates in conjunction? Are they finding elevated THC levels in wrong way drivers blood? If not, your point has no bearing on this conversation. It just sounds like someone who doesn’t smoke weed and doesnt understand the effects it has making a wild claim.
Wrong-way driving is strongly correlated with weekends, nighttime, driver age, and intoxication. I’m not your google.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
Wrong-way driving is strongly correlated with weekends, nighttime, driver age, and intoxication. I’m not your google.
Are those the only strong correlations?

Science is hard. Manipulating how you talk about data for a silly web forum--now THAT'S easy.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Intoxication. Most frequently alcohol intoxication. Alcohol abuse is up. Whipits while driving is way up, which is terrifying, I never encountered this prior to 2018, never. People on PCP drive better, at least they tend to top out at 35 mph.

After that, it gets complicated.

1. We have an aging population. The gray menace is real and demented drivers end up going the wrong way.
2. There are some changes in roadway design that people are having trouble adapting to. Traffic circles are appearing in the US, (finally). Locally we have an interchange where divided surface street traffic is routed so that motorists are driving on the left side of a divided road at the interface of surface streets and an interstate. It's more efficient if people don't screw up...
3. Changes in traffic enforcement. Almost nobody that you might want to be a cop, wants to be one. Our state troopers start at $100,000/year. There are 1000+ vacancies. Departments are shrinking. Departments told their officers to minimize proactive stops during COVID. Departments told employees to build the public trust with non-punitive activities but what the public wants is that when there is an impaired driver, they will be stopped and arrested.
Officers are human and too many became accustomed to doing too little. During the Michael Brown / George Floyd era, some good officers became hesitant to conduct traffic stops. Some departments encouraged their employees to focus more of their efforts on non-enforcement types of public service in order to build up the relationship with the community at large and their departments. It takes only a few years of this for the officer training a new hire to not actually know how to go out and make the traffic stops required to consistently locate and arrest impaired drivers. It's a numbers game. Between 7 pm and 5 am a certain percentage of drivers will be under the influence and so impaired as to be unable to safely operate a motor vehicle. The number of people caught is proportional to the number of drivers contacted. I guess this is the elephant in the room, IMO.

Circling back: alcohol and other drug abuse is up, all other factors being equal, wrong way drivers will be up.

Edit, right to left...

· Registered
2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited
3,790 Posts
This happens almost once a week at a particular intersection on my way home. Some moron comes out of the highlighted street, doesn't read the big one way sign staring them in the face, and then they're met by two lanes of left turn traffic that are not going to give any leeway. Don't be stupid, stupid.

Property Ecoregion Map Infrastructure Slope

· Registered
2,707 Posts
This happens almost once a week at a particular intersection on my way home. Some moron comes out of the highlighted street, doesn't read the big one way sign staring them in the face, and then they're met by two lanes of left turn traffic that are not going to give any leeway. Don't be stupid, stupid.

View attachment 251806
yeah, we have intersections like that.

The road engineers should specify a curved island to direct cars the proper way, and to make it clear "you will go only left here".

· Registered
2015 VW GTI SE
20,434 Posts
There's a one-way road to get into my neighborhood, and people frequently are going the wrong way on it. I have had to stop Uber/Lyft drivers from going the wrong way on it, as a passenger.
In the case of the rideshare drivers, their GPS doesn't tell them it's a one way street, or it doesnt tell them fast enough, before they turn on the road. I assume other drivers are making the same error.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
n the case of the rideshare drivers, their GPS doesn't tell them it's a one way street, or it doesnt tell them fast enough, before they turn on the road.
That's insane. Google Maps will tell you when a road is one-way.

· Registered
20,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I can't believe after 5 days of posting this, a work collogue was killed alongside her husband this morning due to a wrong way driver.

· Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
25,188 Posts
I can't believe after 5 days of posting this, a work collogue was killed alongside her husband this morning due to a wrong way driver.

Was coming here to post this. My mom told me about it this morning on the phone, as this is right down the road from them. Just so sad… it seems as though every month there’s a case of a wrong way driver on I-40. 99% of the time they’re drunk and it’s during late night/early morning.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts