VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, went out to the Eastern Townships (1hr east of Montreal) to meet up with fellow Vortex and Yahoo G60 member Karl (G60syncro)...and what a day we had!!

When I got there, Karl pointed out that he had lost his whole exhaust!!
...I'll let him tell you the story.....

On the agenda: test fitting my new Reiger bumper cover, modifying my Votex front cover, and installing my fog lights....and wouldn't you know it, I'd forgotten the digital camera!!

While Karl started on removing the bumper assembly, I did a modification to the air intake funnel of the Votex cover in order for it to fit (nothing major)....Seems we have much bigger radiators on our syncros!!! Once bumper was removed, we took off the headlight washer nozzles. We then noticed that the bumper impact bar was slightly bent on the drivers side and that the fog light woulnd't fit
..previous owner must of had a fender bender in a parking lot or something
Nothing that a sledge hammer cound't fix!!
After numerous hammer hits, we got the fog to fit the way it should!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
We cut out the holes for the fogs out of the old bumper cover, and one big hole for the euro plate on the Reiger cover. Did a few test fittings with the new bumper and the fog light bezels...and everything is set for tomorrow's trip to the paint shop!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Special thanks again to Karl for helping out an old geezer like me!!
Super friendly and very knowledgable guy!!

Went to my friend's house later that evening and took a few pics of what transpired during the day:
This pic was taken back in May...before the Euro lights and clear corners, leather seats, tinted windows, K&N filter, silver face gauges and other stuff...Notice the nice 15" Le Castellets!!

The car as of last night...I ended up putting on my winter tires and my 15" Estorils; I want to have my Le Castellets polished while the car is getting painted:

Close-up of our work from yesterday:

Here's the car with the Reiger bumper and Votex cover:

Car will be painted BMW's Estorial Blue #335....Side moldings and tail light/licence plate housing will also be painted!!

View of new front end:

I'll be putting on the Votex cover during summer, keeping my original cover for winter use...

All in all, a great day!!

Stay tuned for more pics while car is getting painted!!!
Pierre / pg1syncro

BTW...Davidpg....where were you??!?

AND.....I do have 2 more VOTEX FRONT COVERS FOR SALE if anybody is interested....

[Modified by pg1syncro, 11:35 PM 8-11-2002]

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Re: What a day!!.....Thanks Karl!! (pg1syncro)

That's pretty cool, when I got my car repainted 2 years ago I was considering going with estorial blue also, it'll be nice to see how it looks!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts

I WAS BIKING WITH MY GIRLFRIEND!!!

Looks good...as I knew it would

Now you gotta lower that 4X4!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Re: What a day!!.....Thanks Karl!! (50 MPG)

estorial blue and polished LeCastellets... that car is going to look absolutely cool!!!
Lookin' forward to see some pics of it when it is finished. (Being not such a big fan of the Votex parts... but that's another story...)

·
Registered
20,415 Posts

good luck getting your wheels polished. the largest wheel surfacer in Canada (Panther Precision) had to farm out stripping mine as they couldn't do it.
Apparently the clearcoat that Fuche used is a nightmare to remove. Mine had minor scratches and it ended up costing me $200 per corner *ouch*. However they do look damn sweet.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

It's so much fun hacking up someone else's car!!!
Bahahaha!! Yep, it was a cool day indeed... actually it was pretty hot out there!!! But everything went smoothly and we got everything ready for the paint guy to do the final work. I can't wait to see the finished results!!!
As for the story on my side... My exhaust was toast for a while now and it was pretty noisy. My GF kept laughing at me because of it... but friday night she had a party at her place and when I got there she told me she now had the lead in the noise departement; her downpipe had broken at the cat flange!!! Not to be outdone by a puny little A3 1.8 8v Golf CL, The syncro promptly dumped its own exhaust on the road the following day!!!! I took out the rear section, thinking the rest was fine... but it seems the cat flange nuts had rusted away completely!! I tried showing Pierre how bad the damage was so I poked the pipe with my finger and the whole thing fell to the ground!!! I did'nt expect it to be that bad!!
Anyways, after Pierre left, I figured I still had some time ahead of me, so I recycled the old system... I removed some of the bad parts, put the resonator back in with the cats. Welded up some brackets on the pipe and installed the whole shebang under the car... Sound ghetto and LOUD, but not so much that my car will be a cop magnet... I'll still drive it like that for the time being... but now I have to get in touch with my SS pipe supplier and get me a muffler!!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts

By the way, how did you modify the front cover? And by the way #2... you're money should be there soon. I'm sorry it took so long. I've been slow and dumb, to put it frank.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Re: What a day!!.....Thanks Karl!! (Syncronicity)

Hey Ken, basically, the modification on the front grille cover was to cut off the flange where you can mount a dryer hose of some sort to go to the airbox. Pierre trimmed his to fit over the radiator shroud and to give a clear shot of fresh air through the gap between the rad support and the radiator itself. Then he wanted to get a scoop inside the engine bay to go to that gap.... I mentionned how I wanted to get the stock air deflectors because mine were gone and in their place was a wierd "S" shaped duct on the airbox... He checked it out and figured it was exactly what he needed!!! I sent him on a mission to find me the stock setup and I'll give him my scoop, but I'll make sure to get a part number for it if anybody else is interested... We should get pics of the install too!!
Pierre, do you have an update?? Any new pics???

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: What a day!!.....Thanks Karl!! (G60syncro)

Hey Karl!! Thanks for the description!! I'll find you that stock air intake set-up if it's the last thing I do!!!

I have pics of the preparations....and pics of the modified front grill. I'll post everything tomorrow evening....and you'll get Friday's pics as well!!
Spent the afternoon sanding down (by hand) all of the side molding....the rest will be done by machine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The biggest surprise today...(well, not really)....was the amount of rust under the windshield
Not as bad as it looked though...
Grills are already mounted on Reiger bumper...Fog light bezels were actually painted this evening for tomorrow's bumper install...and what a color!! Estorial Blue Metallic Pearl!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Stay tuned!!
Pierre / pg1syncro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.