VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
Re: what actually BLOWS on an engine from high boost on a stock motor (v.vdubb)

usually the pistons.. run too lean and they burn up, or just too much pressure and they crack the ring lands. stock vr6 rods are pretty tough, but not unbreakable

·
Registered
15,518 Posts
Re: what actually BLOWS on an engine from high boost on a stock motor (TBT-PassatG60)

Quote, originally posted by TBT-PassatG60 »
whatever the weakest link in that particular motor is.

true!! but ualy a godd couple "knocks" and bye bye piston!!(eg not enough fuel = to muck heat= BANG!!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Re: what actually BLOWS on an engine from high boost on a stock motor (v.vdubb)

I don't think you're going to break anything at that boost level on a 4cyl so long as it isn't knocking and you're getting enough fuel. I can't really say for sure on a VR6, but if it is anything like the rest of the motors you'll break a ringland or torch the rings before anything really bad happens. If something goes really wrong usually it results in what looks like a bomb went off in the crankcase. I've heard the VR6 rods are good to around 400hp, but I can't vouch for that.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Re: what actually BLOWS on an engine from high boost on a stock motor (vwmikelvw)

If you run it too lean it will blow, and if you run it to rich it will blow,but as for the boost levels I have run a VR6 at 25psi out of a T72 with race gas and no probs. I made 516whp countless times on a STOCK bottom end. Stock rods are VERY strong, they will easily support over 500whp faithfully. Stock pistons are strong but you wont get more then 450whp on pump gas (93octane) without damaging pistons We never blew the stock bottom end with race gas so we do not no the actual limits of stock pistons.

Modified by 50CENT at 7:16 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: what actually BLOWS on an engine from high boost on a stock motor (50CENT)

what comp ratio 50cent?
Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts