VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Im busy prepping for a build with a 2006 3.2L. I bought the engine from a salvaged car and I was in the process of replacing the oil pan. I soon realized that the fly wheel needed to be removed to gain access to a couple of the sump bolts. While about to start that, I noticed this mess in the end of the crank. What exactly am I looking at here? I've never seen the end of one of these engines so it's hard to work it out.
See what you think. Cheers!
IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I shoulda been more specific. Im talking about the threads inside, with that half ring remaining and half missing? Am I going to have to engage anything into those threads when I come to fit a manual flywheel and clutch etc?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quickly searching same p/n but your crank is a D my R for instance is an AKT. I honestly dont know without more digging if that means DSG crank specific. Post pics with flywheel removed if you can.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, I shoulda been more specific. Im talking about the threads inside, with that half ring remaining and half missing? Am I going to have to engage anything into those threads when I come to fit a manual flywheel and clutch etc?
that's part of the DSG flywheel. It does not actually hold anything in place as far as fastening to the Engine crank. Remove the 10 triple square bolts/NZXT/flywheel bolts and everything will come out. Nothing to worry about, unless you wish to reuse it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. That's reassuring, I called around at a handful of shops after work and managed to get a 10mm tripplesquare. Seems like it's a 9mm that's needed. I'll get one ASAP and get that DSG flywheel off to take a look. Hopefully this engine is good for use with a manual gearbox and clutch. A few comments earlier in this thread has me worried about the crank type.
Yes, that oil pan is to collect a few drips - The sump took a knock and has a crack. I have a new one in that box behind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, making some progress! It took a while to order the tripplesquare bit. The fancy flywheel came off nicely. This is what I'm left with which still looks odd me, can you explain which part needs to be removed off the end. Bearing in mind I'm converting to a manual gearbox and clutch. I'll do that seal while Im here too.

IMG_1881 copy.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
You may as well remove it. You won't need it with an 02M, if you're going for that trans. The pilot/spigot bearing should pull out... google it - there are tools for it, but there are other methods... like the bread method.

Think about doing t he timing chains while it's out. The parts are pretty reasonable and the labour is easy on a stand.

The crank is the same for manual and auto. I have an A3 3.2 DSG engine in my Touran, with an 02M manual trans, no issues. Buy the clutch and flywheel to suit the trnas you use (MK4 02M or MK5 02Q)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I got it. It was just the thin remains of the pilot bearing outer race and this is why I didn't recognize it as a bearing. There wasn't anything to grab with a pulley or to use the bread method. I ended up using a thin Dremel stone to grind out a slot and then pried it out gently. Now I can get on with finding a good flywheel and clutch kit for the 02A transmission, after a seal and chains job .....

VR6 pilot remains.png

1 - 12 of 12 Posts