VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh wise ones from TCL. Help me where I have failed. These pics made their way to me, and I failed to ID the car. I don't have much to go on, other than it's Italian, and the seats look to be from an 80's Ferrari.

3...2...1...GO!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have no idea, but eagerly await reveal because it looks incredible.

There's a great website for Etceterinis
here:

But brief search didn't strike a match.

I then got lost in google wonderland looking at all the various barchetta designs which was fun,
so thanks for the prompt.

Saw lotsa grand stuff and even stumbled across this video which is awesome,
they should have edited to start straight at 1:25 though...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Looks similar to early 60s Elvas, but no cooling scoops in the rear to feed the radiators or whatever else. Gives me fiberglass feels too, so I'm concluding one-off or low production kit car?

·
19,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Person who shot the photos to me said the owner claimed it was on a 308 frame. That makes my guess even worse, because I too was thinking early 60's Elva.

·
Banned
787 Posts
Looks like a 1950's Maserati 300 racer. But it could also be a Ferrari prototype.

·
19,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mean maybe stumped. Usually we get a “I enhanced the photo to see a glass shard and it has the serial number from a common Ford, but that lens was used for one year only in this car.”

But there have been other noteworthy things happening today.

·
Registered
245 Posts

The red was really throwing me off, but I tried to do some digging. I don't know why, but my mind went to the old Jaguar race cars. I found this photo of an XJ13. I know it's missing the scoops in the back, but I can't find any Italian car that looks exactly like the one above. That might just be a one off fiberglass kit car. Stranger things have been created.....

Just to edit, there isn't even a badge on the hood to identify.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yeah,
it's a rare event when TCL is stumped.

Several good clues in the photo but I keep coming up snake-eyes.

I think that it is likely a custom kit car similar to these:

Or either a bona fide racer from the glory days,
similar to something like this:

1964 Ausca Sports Racer

The Ausca's were racing cars built by Horst Kwech. Horst is an Australian who moved to Lake Forest, Il to work at Knauz Continental Motors, an Alfa Romeo dealer.

At Knauz, Horst was a very successful mechanic, race car builder and renowned Alfa driver. He won two Trans-Am Championships driving Alfa Romeo's.

Horst Kwech built two Alfa-powered sportsracers. The first one built was Horst's personal race car in 1964. He campaigned it successfully against Lotus 23's and Elva Mk - 7's. The second sportsracer was destroyed in a crash.

:

Picking up interesting things along the way though, so it's a fun sort of frustration.

Love this old Topps card, from a series they made 1953-1955.

1947 Cisitalia 202 Spider Nuvolari

Horsepower: 55
Cylinders: 4
Length: 147.4″
Width: 55.6″

The Cisitalia runabout is an Italian sports car with an ideal design for road racing or fast touring. Many new design ideas were started by this company, including finned rear fenders, and side exhaust ports like the Buick. Good weight distribution, and low center of gravity allow the car to turn at high speeds.

And also,
bumping around looking at 1960s era sportscar racing stuff, found this video which was cool to watch. Glory days indeed, the list of names in this race is incredible, and the cars are neat to see in heated action.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would almost agree with you, but I've noticed looking online that a lot of the actual Italian race cars are right hand drive, and the one in question is left hand drive. Not an expert, just an observation.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts