VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TURBOS!! TURBOS!! TURBOS!! Now.. I am pretty literate mechanically. (At least, I like to think I am) but what are common problems with turbo installs. What are some of the things you would need to troubleshoot a turbo install? Do you think a person that doesn't know much could tune a turbo with tech. support? Hmmm.. let me know what you guys think! I'm only going to buy the supercharger if I have to! I want a turbo!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Re: What are common turbo install problems? (flyjetta)

I think most people could handle this given that they thoroughly research the subject. Understanding how the system works and what all individual parts do is very important.
Common problems:
Not having all the parts you need before you start. This really sucks when you need a specific part and have to mail order it.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

ha! ha! ha! Seriously though.. are there any special things I would need? I contacted atp on their kit for the MKIV 2.0 and they said that they have a chip that would get everything running. Is that a stock configuration? What do they mean.. get you up and running???

·
Registered
7,265 Posts

Teh woprst and most frustrating part was getting the down pipe the right size and welded. Get it tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before you ever drive it. Air/fuel is essential.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: What are common turbo install problems? (XSiVE)

One thing I must add is the stock exhaust studs. If you have over 50,000miles the studs can/could be siezed. We had one that required a torch to get out. If you are doing it in your driveway a propane torch could work in a pinch to get them out if need be. As others have said the downpipe can be a b!tch, you are best to do a test fitting with the car with a clamp before you weld it IMHO. As well make sure that your oil return fitting is properly arc welded to the pan. Those braze on welds don't last they get gummy and then leak.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]do you have to rip out your A/C?[HR][/HR]​
I did at first as the elbow I had did not have enough clearance, pic included.
I reattached it with a 3" elbow from these guys http://www.thermalflex.com/automotive.html
and then recharged the system. If you get the right parts first you will not have to disconnect the A/C just be aware if you go with a front mount IC in high temperature days the A/C does put a lot of strain on the cooling system and oil, an oil cooler would be a great idea plus thick oil like a straight SAE 40wt when the temps get above 80-85f.

As you can see in the pic there is not a lot of room around the A/C lines get a 90o elbow with at least 6" so you can trim it to fit

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: What are common turbo install problems? (badbennyb)

quote:[HR][/HR]Go Go, does thermalflex know what part this elbow is or are they a general part company? Oil coolers are pretty basic installs correct?
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah it is a generic part. Talk to Doug Scott @ Thermalflex he is a veedubber so that's cool in my book. As for Oil coolers, yup basic install. Just a sandwich plate between your oil filter and oil pump housing with some Earls (or the like) hose to and from the cooler. The only downside of a cooler is expense you are looking at mucho dineros unless you can source some of the stuff from the junkyard ie: Tranny Cooler or such. You can buy the sandwich plates seperate, it is the exchanger that costs.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: What are common turbo install problems? (Go Go Green Golf)

I'm nervous about having to tune it.. I've never done it before. Do you have to worry about pipe fittings with the kits?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm nervous about having to tune it.. I've never done it before. Do you have to worry about pipe fittings with the kits?[HR][/HR]​
Well...it's not a big deal to tune a basic install it's more or less plug and play...well at least mine was http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif You just have to have the right gauges hooked up Boost, A/F meter as a minimum and an EGT would be icing on the cake and to understand what these gauges do. More boost requires more fuel so keeping an eye on your A/F is part of the battle won. http://www.autometer.com/hp/techtips/air_fuel_hookup/air_fuel_hookup.html
Now for above 8 psi you'll need a remapped chip or a stand alone EMS.
As for clamps regular hose clamps will do or these upgraded ones from Turbonetics. http://www.turboneticsinc.com/catalog/inst_accessories.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts