VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a guy in my local club with a subie 2.5rs has installed Koni inserts that apparently change spring rates...can some one enlighten me as to what these are, and what exactly they do. i did a search and found nothing.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Re: what are Koni inserts (knotcher)

I have wondered this also, so I did some research. Looks like it is a damper that you insert into your old strut body. Don't know if this is an option for VWs but the subaru guys seem to do it a lot. Here is an installation guide for a DSM.
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Konis.html

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (MikekiM)

ok, it's starting to make sense now...i must have missed something when he was talking about the inserts, cause i thought it was something that went inside the spring, between the coils, that would change the springs rates.
out of interest, is there anything like this out there?

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Re: (knotcher)

Quote, originally posted by knotcher »

out of interest, is there anything like this out there?

Absolutely - there are rubber pieces that go between coils, and metal clamps that compress coils ... neither of which are "inserts" in the common vernacular, but both do change spring rates.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (f1forkvr6)

Quote, originally posted by f1forkvr6 »

Absolutely - there are rubber pieces that go between coils, and metal clamps that compress coils ... neither of which are "inserts" in the common vernacular, but both do change spring rates.

i'm not sure about the clamps that compress the coil, b/c wouldn't that change the ride height (lower it) and i don't want to do that.
does anyone know about the performance value of the rubber pieces, and where i can buy them?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Re: (knotcher)

You can get the rubber inserts (they make metal ones also) at your local auto parts store in the "towing" section, as some people use these to stiffen the rear of their cars to compensate for trailers' heavy loads. You can really increase your spring rate by using both a clamp and a rubber insert, effectively lowering and then raising the car back to stock height. I ran some metal ones for a while, and it did indeed stiffen things up, but raised the car 1/4". If you do install these things, make sure they do not rub anything and are mounted as close to the center of the spring as possible (which is mainly to avoid rubbing anyways.) An insert on the front and a clamp on the back of some stock springs should improve things and is worth it considering the low cost of a set. Would probably be a pretty good deal with a set of HDs for an on-the-cheap setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts